Nigel will lead tribute to Mike Rouse at Ely Pride
- Credit: Ely Pride 2022
Stuntney born singer actor Nigel Murfitt will be returning to Ely to host on the Maltings stage at Ely Pride 2022.
During the day he will also lead a tribute, on the main stage, to the late mayor of Ely, Michael Rouse.
“Michael was the director of the first show that I appeared in for Campaign Amateur Theatre in Ely back in 1983,” said Nigel.
“The show was Finian’s Rainbow, an experience that helped inspire me to eventually fulfil my dream of becoming a professional performer.”
Nigel says Michael was supportive of his career “and indeed our very first Ely Pride”.
Nigel says he not only shared a love of performance with Michael but also of the history of Ely as well as the country as a whole.
For ten years from 2011 Nigel portrayed King Henry VIII at the London Medieval Banquet, whilst doing this he appeared in several films, including Guardians of the Galaxy, King Arthur and Black Widow.
- 1 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
- 2 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 3 Andre Rieu brings new summer concert to Cambridgeshire cinemas
- 4 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 5 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 6 NHS staff praised for ‘virtually eliminating’ long waiting times
- 7 Driver cleared by reason of insanity over death of Louis Thorold
- 8 Painter who captured town before 1978 floods finishes 44 years on
- 9 Arson causes fire to rip through derelict building
- 10 Farmer ‘feeling low’ due to increasingly difficult working conditions
Most recently he was as a prisoner in Cruella for Disney.
“King Henry also took me to the BBC for two seasons as a judge on All Together Now, with Geri Horner and Rob Becket,” says Nigel.
During the pandemic, when his performing work was dealt a fatal blow, Nigel embarked on a new career as a funeral director with Dignity funerals in South East London.
“It’s a role that I feel combines many of his previous job choices skillset,” he says.
Nigel says he is “proud and honoured to be returning to the Maltings Stage and to lead the tribute to a most fondly remembered mayor and historian Michael Rouse”.
Pride in Ely is an all day event by the riverside and is free.
During the evening there is a ‘club cabaret’ and tickets are now on sale for that.
It promises an evening of “burlesque, comedy, singing and vaudeville”.
We have VIP tables (for up to 6 people) and individual seat tickets on sale.
There will be a main bar, a cocktail bar and pop-up café by Marmalade & Jam of Ely, serving hot/cold food/snacks during the event.
Cabaret tickets here