Pony rescued after spending night in water-filled ditch due to a firework
- Credit: Archant
A pony who spent a night trapped in a water-filled ditch after getting scared by a firework was rescued by firefighters.
Penny the pony was found in the ditch in Elm near Wisbech, having been frightened by the sound of a firework she heard on Saturday, October 31, before being found by fire crews the next day.
A spokesperson for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “At 9.28am on Sunday, November 1, crews from Wisbech and Dogsthorpe were called to an incident on Wales Bank.
“Firefighters arrived to find a pony that was trapped in a water-filled ditch.
“Wearing specialist in-water gear they rescued the pony, known as Penny, and returned her to her home field. The crews returned to their stations by midday.”
Residents took to social media to share their delight on Penny’s safe return.
One wrote: “This pony belongs to one of my best friend’s daughters and made their day pulling her out. It was very scary and was getting worse as time went on watching them but they got her out safely. Brilliant job!!!”
- 1 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 2 Man, 28, and boy, 15, arrested after major A1101 crash in Wisbech
- 3 Recap: Main road through Wisbech town centre shut after serious crash
- 4 Inside Wisbech's new 'Get Out' escape room
- 5 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 6 Knife-wielding teen jailed after week-long crime spree in Wisbech
- 7 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 8 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 9 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 10 Man in his 20s dies after crash in west Norfolk
Another added: “Thank you so much Cambs Fire and Rescue coming to the aid of this poor animal. You do a fantastic job.”