Three ponies die in Wisbech St Mary farm blaze
- Credit: Cambs FRS
Three ponies have died in a Fenland farm fire overnight.
Dozens of firefighters were called to the farm on Rummers Lane in Wisbech St Mary at around midnight (July 18).
In an update from Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service, they said: "Crews tackled the fire using jets and the aerial appliance, and managed to save one barn. "Sadly, three ponies lost their lives at the scene."
They arrived to find the fire had already spread across three large barns and 100 tonnes of straw - there was no one injured.
Crews from Wisbech, March, Thorney, Whittlesey, the water carrier and welfare unit from Ramsey, one crew from Cambridge and Huntingdon were called.
You may also want to watch:
Crews from West Walton, the water carrier from Holbeach and Outwell from Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service, as well as Long Sutton from Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue Service, also attended.
There is currently a road closure in place at the junction of High Road and Rummers Lane while a remaining straw fire is dealt with.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 4 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 5 Watches and electric display box stolen in village burglary
- 6 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 9 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets