Three ponies die in Wisbech St Mary farm blaze
- Credit: Cambs FRS
Three ponies have died in a Fenland farm fire overnight.
Dozens of firefighters were called to the farm on Rummers Lane in Wisbech St Mary at around midnight (July 18).
In an update from Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service, they said: "Crews tackled the fire using jets and the aerial appliance, and managed to save one barn. "Sadly, three ponies lost their lives at the scene."
They arrived to find the fire had already spread across three large barns and 100 tonnes of straw - there was no one injured.
Crews from Wisbech, March, Thorney, Whittlesey, the water carrier and welfare unit from Ramsey, one crew from Cambridge and Huntingdon were called.
You may also want to watch:
Crews from West Walton, the water carrier from Holbeach and Outwell from Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service, as well as Long Sutton from Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue Service, also attended.
There is currently a road closure in place at the junction of High Road and Rummers Lane while a remaining straw fire is dealt with.
- 1 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 3 Tory jubilation short-lived in Fenland as they lose control of county council
- 4 Prison sentence for man who brutally attacked his partner
- 5 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
- 6 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 7 Food delivery service Deliveroo launches in ‘next couple of months’
- 8 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 9 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 10 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary