Police warning after 78-year-old Wisbech woman loses �160 to man who tricked her
RESIDENTS are being urged to be vigilant after an elderly woman was tricked by a conman in Wisbech.
The 78-year-old had her purse stolen by a man who claimed he had to carry out some work on the water system of her home in Grimmers Road.
The trickster distracted the victim before helping himself to her purse which contained about �160. The incident happened at about 11am on Tuesday, October 12.
He is described as white, six foot, with a weathered complexion. He had dark, curly hair and was wearing a dark shirt and overalls.
Detective Constable Ahmed Ishaq said: “I would urge residents to always ask for identification from doorstep callers or phone the company to check they are legitimate.
You may also want to watch:
“If you are in any doubt, don’t let them into your home.”
Anyone with any information should call DC Ishaq on 0345 456 456 4, or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.
- 1 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 2 'It could happen to anyone' - girlfriend of drowning victim speaks out
- 3 Replacing pub with houses ‘effective re-use' of site
- 4 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 5 Fenland Council welcomes Covid-19 compliant free rock festival
- 6 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 7 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 8 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 9 Two drink drivers lose their licences
- 10 300 take part in autonomous shuttle passenger trial