Police warning after 78-year-old Wisbech woman loses �160 to man who tricked her
RESIDENTS are being urged to be vigilant after an elderly woman was tricked by a conman in Wisbech.
The 78-year-old had her purse stolen by a man who claimed he had to carry out some work on the water system of her home in Grimmers Road.
The trickster distracted the victim before helping himself to her purse which contained about �160. The incident happened at about 11am on Tuesday, October 12.
He is described as white, six foot, with a weathered complexion. He had dark, curly hair and was wearing a dark shirt and overalls.
Detective Constable Ahmed Ishaq said: “I would urge residents to always ask for identification from doorstep callers or phone the company to check they are legitimate.
You may also want to watch:
“If you are in any doubt, don’t let them into your home.”
Anyone with any information should call DC Ishaq on 0345 456 456 4, or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 3 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 4 Verdict means former mayor can keep pub
- 5 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 6 Antiques dealer's collection to be sold at auction
- 7 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 8 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 9 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 10 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage