Police used riot shields and CS spray as drunken males went on rampage

PUBLISHED: 16:42 12 May 2010 | UPDATED: 09:38 02 June 2010

POLICE used riot shields and CS spray to deal with a violent incident in Wisbech, after being faced with two drunken males wielding weapons. A six-foot pole with a metal hook on the end was swung around during the disturbance, smashing a window. A bottle

POLICE used riot shields and CS spray to deal with a violent incident in Wisbech, after being faced with two drunken males wielding weapons.

A six-foot pole with a metal hook on the end was swung around during the disturbance, smashing a window.

A bottle was thrown at police officers, a screwdriver was brandished, and police were met with a barrage of abuse, Fenland magistrates were told today.

Robert Cox, 21, of Admirals Drive, Wisbech, and a 17-year-old youth both admitted causing an affray in the early hours of April 22, and the youth further admitted damaging a kitchen window.

"This was a lengthy incident, there were deliberate attacks on police with the use of a weapon," said prosecutor Emma Duckett.

At one stage police took refuge behind wheelie bins, as they were threatened; and one of the first officers on the scene drew his baton.

"Officers feared for their own safety," said Ms Duckett. After the men were sprayed, they retreated, but Cox then produced the pole, she said.

"Officers felt they were facing immediate attack and used a panic button," she added. The youth tried to smash a bottle on a wall, and then threw it at police, so it smashed on the ground.

After Cox let go of the pole, the youth swung it around, smashing a window.

Police reinforcements used riot shields and CS spray to detain the defendants who had shouted threats. Inside the property, the youth brandished a screwdriver.

Representing Cox, Kay Younis said there had been a confrontation with neighbours before the police were called. "He accepts he made threats to the police, was confrontational and abusive," she said.

Cox was sent to Cambridge Crown Court for sentencing, and the youth was sent Wisbech Youth Court on May 21.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Wisbech Standard. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Wisbech Standard