Police re-bail Wisbech town councillor - and landlord of three pubs- in ongoing inquiry into alleged affray outside the Angel Inn
- Credit: Archant
A Wisbech town councillor who was arrested on suspicion of affray has been re-bailed pending further police inquiries.
Aigars Balsevics was arrested in the early hours of Saturday November 14 after arriving back in Wisbech after attending the NE Cambs Conservative Ball in March.
Cllr Balsevics, landlord of three town pubs, was arrested on suspicion of affray after an incident in the early hours at one of them, the Angel Inn.
He was first bailed to return to Kings Lynn Police on Monday January 18 but a police spokesman that the bail has since been extended.
“The inquiry is ongoing,” said a police spokesman. Cllr Balsevices has been re-bailed to February 8.
You may also want to watch:
Up to 20 people were involved in the incident outside the Angel and following police attendance, Cllr Balsevics was arrested.
Cllr Balsevics is a recent member of Wisbech Town Council, having won the Staithe ward by-election for Wisbech Town Council in August last year after the previous councillor resigned.
- 1 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 Homeless champion delighted as young couple finally have shelter
- 4 First large-scale Cambs Covid-19 vaccination centres open this week
- 5 Council books seven hotels and guest houses for homeless
- 6 Stolen American-style fridge was lifted over 10ft security fence
- 7 Ambulance charity first in East to transfer Covid-19 patients by air
- 8 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
- 9 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 10 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
In the May elections Cllr Balsevics was an unsuccessful candidate in the Waterlees ward for Fenland Council.
Cllr Balsevics moved to England 10 years ago. He can speak four languages including fluent English and is acknowledged as being a leading figure in helping Eastern Europeans integrate into the town.
He is landlord of the Three Tuns, the King’s Head and The Angel.