Police re-bail Wisbech town councillor - and landlord of three pubs- in ongoing inquiry into alleged affray outside the Angel Inn
- Credit: Archant
A Wisbech town councillor who was arrested on suspicion of affray has been re-bailed pending further police inquiries.
Aigars Balsevics was arrested in the early hours of Saturday November 14 after arriving back in Wisbech after attending the NE Cambs Conservative Ball in March.
Cllr Balsevics, landlord of three town pubs, was arrested on suspicion of affray after an incident in the early hours at one of them, the Angel Inn.
He was first bailed to return to Kings Lynn Police on Monday January 18 but a police spokesman that the bail has since been extended.
“The inquiry is ongoing,” said a police spokesman. Cllr Balsevices has been re-bailed to February 8.
Up to 20 people were involved in the incident outside the Angel and following police attendance, Cllr Balsevics was arrested.
Cllr Balsevics is a recent member of Wisbech Town Council, having won the Staithe ward by-election for Wisbech Town Council in August last year after the previous councillor resigned.
- 1 A47 near Wisbech set to close for seven weekends due to roadworks
- 2 Father and son accused of man's murder set to stand trial this summer
- 3 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 4 Jail for suspected hare courser who forced cars off road during police pursuit
- 5 Farmer wins appeal to convert derelict barn into a house
- 6 Second river crash in a week as driver escapes injury
- 7 Man set to stand trial accused of teen daughter's murder
- 8 Seven places where £4.9m road maintenance has been approved
- 9 Tributes paid to 'lovely' teenager as police continue murder probe
- 10 Footballer, Harry, hoping for future in professional football
In the May elections Cllr Balsevics was an unsuccessful candidate in the Waterlees ward for Fenland Council.
Cllr Balsevics moved to England 10 years ago. He can speak four languages including fluent English and is acknowledged as being a leading figure in helping Eastern Europeans integrate into the town.
He is landlord of the Three Tuns, the King’s Head and The Angel.