Police re-bail Wisbech town councillor - and landlord of three pubs- in ongoing inquiry into alleged affray outside the Angel Inn
- Credit: Archant
A Wisbech town councillor who was arrested on suspicion of affray has been re-bailed pending further police inquiries.
Aigars Balsevics was arrested in the early hours of Saturday November 14 after arriving back in Wisbech after attending the NE Cambs Conservative Ball in March.
Cllr Balsevics, landlord of three town pubs, was arrested on suspicion of affray after an incident in the early hours at one of them, the Angel Inn.
He was first bailed to return to Kings Lynn Police on Monday January 18 but a police spokesman that the bail has since been extended.
“The inquiry is ongoing,” said a police spokesman. Cllr Balsevices has been re-bailed to February 8.
You may also want to watch:
Up to 20 people were involved in the incident outside the Angel and following police attendance, Cllr Balsevics was arrested.
Cllr Balsevics is a recent member of Wisbech Town Council, having won the Staithe ward by-election for Wisbech Town Council in August last year after the previous councillor resigned.
- 1 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 2 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 3 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 4 Former mayor Aigars Balsevics must wait for verdict on pub fate
- 5 47-home estate 'beggars belief' says councillor
- 6 Showcase status for Academy
- 7 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 8 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 9 ‘From street dog to show champion’ - how Toby rescued his family
- 10 Drug free, drink free BMW driver crashes into wall
In the May elections Cllr Balsevics was an unsuccessful candidate in the Waterlees ward for Fenland Council.
Cllr Balsevics moved to England 10 years ago. He can speak four languages including fluent English and is acknowledged as being a leading figure in helping Eastern Europeans integrate into the town.
He is landlord of the Three Tuns, the King’s Head and The Angel.