Police re-bail Wisbech town councillor - and landlord of three pubs- in ongoing inquiry into alleged affray outside the Angel Inn
- Credit: Archant
A Wisbech town councillor who was arrested on suspicion of affray has been re-bailed pending further police inquiries.
Aigars Balsevics was arrested in the early hours of Saturday November 14 after arriving back in Wisbech after attending the NE Cambs Conservative Ball in March.
Cllr Balsevics, landlord of three town pubs, was arrested on suspicion of affray after an incident in the early hours at one of them, the Angel Inn.
He was first bailed to return to Kings Lynn Police on Monday January 18 but a police spokesman that the bail has since been extended.
“The inquiry is ongoing,” said a police spokesman. Cllr Balsevices has been re-bailed to February 8.
You may also want to watch:
Up to 20 people were involved in the incident outside the Angel and following police attendance, Cllr Balsevics was arrested.
Cllr Balsevics is a recent member of Wisbech Town Council, having won the Staithe ward by-election for Wisbech Town Council in August last year after the previous councillor resigned.
- 1 Businesses across the Fens reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 2 'I lived in the woods' - Suspected murder victim reveals five year ordeal
- 3 New offering can help 'encourage more participation in angling'
- 4 Council to report 'accumulations of tributes' to police
- 5 ‘The Duke of Edinburgh’s security team wouldn’t let him ride our tandem...’
- 6 Fenland line-up for Cambridgeshire elections
- 7 Videographer captures lifeboat hoist at town boatyard
- 8 Fully-funded place at grammar school's sixth form available for one pupil
- 9 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 10 All you need to know about the new Vauxhall Mokka
In the May elections Cllr Balsevics was an unsuccessful candidate in the Waterlees ward for Fenland Council.
Cllr Balsevics moved to England 10 years ago. He can speak four languages including fluent English and is acknowledged as being a leading figure in helping Eastern Europeans integrate into the town.
He is landlord of the Three Tuns, the King’s Head and The Angel.