Police name pilot of light aircraft who crashed and died in remote stretch of River Nene
POLICE tonight named the 70 year-old Cambridgeshire pilot of a light aircraft who died on Sunday afternoon when his plane crashed into a remote stretch of the River Nene between Whittlesey and March. An inquest into the death of Francis Joseph Ball of Jub
POLICE tonight named the 70 year-old Cambridgeshire pilot of a light aircraft who died on Sunday afternoon when his plane crashed into a remote stretch of the River Nene between Whittlesey and March.
An inquest into the death of Francis Joseph Ball of Plash Drove, Tholomas Drove, Wisbech St Mary, is due to open at Wisbech at 2pm tomorrow.
The corner for NE Cambs, William Morris, said Mr Ball, who was retired, had died of multiple injuries.
Fire crews and the emergency services were called to the bank of a stretch of the river known as Morton's Leam, reached via the end of Eldernell Lane, Coates.
You may also want to watch:
The plane crashed shortly after 3pm and rescue workers- including a police helicopter- were quickly on the scene.
Civil Aviation Authority inspectors have removed the wreckage of the single seater home built Taylor Titch plane and will be studying the remains for clues as to how the accident happened.
- 1 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 2 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 3 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 4 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 5 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 6 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 7 Bungling burglar confronted wearing stolen clothes
- 8 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 9 Marathon runner passes through Cambs on route to Kathmandu
- 10 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
A spokesman for the CAA said at the moment there was no suspicion that the aircraft was at fault.
Family members at Mr Ball's home tonight declined to comment on the accident.