Police issue warning after distraction burglars pose as water board officials
OFFENDERS have been posing as water board officials and university researchers in the most recent spate of burglaries.
Police have issued a warning after a series of distraction burglaries across the region, including homes in Walton Highway.
Incidents were reported on Saturday, when occupants of homes in Walton Highway and Dereham refused entry to people requesting to check their water supply.
In West Lynn the bogus officials managed to gain entry and property was taken.
Detective Superintendent Nick Dean said the offences had occurred throughout the day and in to the late evening.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “These offences are committed by people who have no regard for vulnerable people.
“They have no conscience about the impact this type of crime has on the victim, often lasting many years.
- 1 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 2 Mum caught driving with revoked license on school run gets car seized
- 3 Vicar's concerns over 'hugely vulnerable' rough sleepers
- 4 Man in critical condition after single-vehicle crash
- 5 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 6 Woman threatened for not wearing mask describes fear for safety
- 7 Rural crime police recover dog in ‘poor state’ while on site check
- 8 Police hunt homemade go-kart ‘causing anti-social behaviour’
- 9 Podcast revisits the mysterious missing case of Terry McSpadden
- 10 Residents get chance to contribute to church's Bible project
“Although these offences are rare we have never the less been very successful in prosecuting individuals who commit this type of crime - but we need the public to be alert and report anything suspicious to us immediately.”
The force has issued advice to residents, saying it is important that they do not allow entry in to their homes without first checking the identity of the callers. If in any doubt do not let them in and call the police.
Members of the public should call Norfolk police on 0845 4564567 if they believe a bogus official is on their doorstep.