Police issue warning after distraction burglars pose as water board officials
OFFENDERS have been posing as water board officials and university researchers in the most recent spate of burglaries.
Police have issued a warning after a series of distraction burglaries across the region, including homes in Walton Highway.
Incidents were reported on Saturday, when occupants of homes in Walton Highway and Dereham refused entry to people requesting to check their water supply.
In West Lynn the bogus officials managed to gain entry and property was taken.
Detective Superintendent Nick Dean said the offences had occurred throughout the day and in to the late evening.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “These offences are committed by people who have no regard for vulnerable people.
“They have no conscience about the impact this type of crime has on the victim, often lasting many years.
- 1 Missing dog found thanks to drone footage
- 2 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 3 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 4 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 5 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 6 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 7 Burnouts, revving engines and upset shoppers lead to dispersal order
- 8 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 9 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 10 HMO plans submitted for village pub
“Although these offences are rare we have never the less been very successful in prosecuting individuals who commit this type of crime - but we need the public to be alert and report anything suspicious to us immediately.”
The force has issued advice to residents, saying it is important that they do not allow entry in to their homes without first checking the identity of the callers. If in any doubt do not let them in and call the police.
Members of the public should call Norfolk police on 0845 4564567 if they believe a bogus official is on their doorstep.