Police investigation into Forty Foot death
A police investigation was underway today after a car containing a man s body was recovered from a notorious drain in the Fens.The alarm was raised yesterday morning following reports of a vehicle in the Ramsey Forty Foot, near Chatteris.The Forty Foot
A police investigation was underway today after a car containing a man's body was recovered from a notorious drain in the Fens.
The alarm was raised yesterday morning following reports of a vehicle in the Ramsey Forty Foot, near Chatteris.
The Forty Foot Bank, which runs alongside the drain, was closed to traffic while the recovery operation was carried out.
The dead man, who is believed to be in his forties, is due to be formally identified later today.
You may also want to watch:
Five people died in the Ramsey Forty Foot last winter after their vehicles went into the water.
Cambridgeshire county councillors recently gave top priority to a scheme to install average speed cameras along a four and a half-mile stretch of the road.
- 1 Two charged with Wisbech murder
- 2 New £1.5million Co-op store opens its doors – creating 12 local jobs
- 3 Dogs 'whining and crying' claims kennels objector
- 4 Three derelict cottages sell in auction for £122,000
- 5 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack
- 6 Suspected drug dealers arrested in Wisbech raid
- 7 First wholetime woman firefighter in Cambs retires after 30 years
- 8 Arsonists strike again by setting fire to tyres
- 9 Port welcomes 10 ships in a month from Latvia to The Netherlands
- 10 History of family-run car firm revealed in new autobiography
The authority has already spent more than £420,000 on new signs, resurfacing and safety measures in a bid to reduce the number of accidents.
Anyone with information about the latest incident is asked to contact traffic officers on 0845 456 4564.