Police helicopter and 999 call out after man who ‘was drunk and thought it was a joke’ takes midnight dive into the Nene at Wisbech
- Credit: Archant
A man who jumped fully clothed into the River Nene at Wisbech just before midnight “was drunk and thought it was a joke” said Cambs Police.
A police spokesman said Fenland CCTV spotted a male standing on the wrong side of the Wisbech Town Bridge at 11.45pm on Friday.
“The CCTV operator alerted the police force control room of this via the police airwaves radio system and officers were quickly dispatched to the area,” said the spokesman.
“Officers arrived within minutes of the call, but the male had already jumped into the river.”
Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue, East of England Ambulance service, East of England Ambulance HART team, Harbour master, along with a National Police Air Service (NPAS) Police Helicopter were soon on the scene.
You may also want to watch:
The police spokesman said; “The male was seen to get himself to the side of the river and climb out. The male was drunk and thought it was funny to be jumping into the dark and fast flowing river.
“He was arrested and taken to the Police Investigation Centre at Kings Lynn after he was checked over by paramedics.”
- 1 Homeless champion delighted as young couple finally have shelter
- 2 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 3 Frightened cancer patient with Covid relieved as hospital extend stay
- 4 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 5 The Queen Elizabeth Hospital launches Covid-19 patient helpline
- 6 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
- 7 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 8 Man suffers serious injuries after two-vehicle crash on A47
- 9 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 10 'Sorry for any delay' but we're getting there says vaccine rollout manager
The spokesman added: “The man could have put a number of other people’s lives in danger. He was drunk and thought it was a joke.”