Pole extradited to face charges
A POLISH man extradited to the UK to face charges of attempting to murder a Wisbech woman appeared before magistrates on Wednesday. Daniel Tomczak, 27, is accused of attempting to murder the 23-year-old office worker on February 3 last year. He was brough
A POLISH man extradited to the UK to face charges of attempting to murder a Wisbech woman appeared before magistrates on Wednesday.
Daniel Tomczak, 27, is accused of attempting to murder the 23-year-old office worker on February 3 last year. He was brought back to the UK on Tuesday after police obtained an international arrest warrant.
He is also accused of attempting to choke, to suffocate or strangle the woman, to enable himself to commit a burglary.
A third charge alleges burglary, that he entered the woman's home in Milner Road, Wisbech, as a trespasser and stole a Nokia mobile phone, a silver coloured Sanyo DVD player, a CD player and speakers, and that a person in the building was subjected to violence.
Tomczak is also accused of assaulting the woman, causing her actual bodily harm.
The Polish national was sent to appear before a judge at Cambridge Crown Court for a preliminary hearing today (Friday) and was remanded in custody.
- 1 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 2 Man arrested in Wisbech after illegally entering UK three times
- 3 Man, 28, and boy, 15, arrested after major A1101 crash in Wisbech
- 4 Knife-wielding teen jailed after week-long crime spree in Wisbech
- 5 Jailed: 58-year-old burglar who stole £57,000 BMW M4 in Wisbech
- 6 Inside Wisbech's new 'Get Out' escape room
- 7 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
- 8 New mayor pledges to 'do Wisbech proud'
- 9 Recap: Main road through Wisbech town centre shut after serious crash
- 10 Shoplifter barred from every M&S and Sainsbury's in Cambridgeshire
At an emotional press conference after the attack the woman fought back tears as she spoke of the night an intruder burst into her bedroom and throttled her until she fell unconscious.
In her panic to get away she scrambled out of a first floor window smashing her foot into another window on the way down. With glass embedded in her feet she ran down the road to her parents' home.
The breakthrough in the hunt for her attacker is thought to have occurred earlier this year when a man was found acting suspiciously in a doorway in Wisbech town centre. Police took samples of DNA which led them to the trail of Tomczak.
When police went to arrest him he had returned to Poland, and an international arrest warrant issued.