Pole extradited to face charges
A POLISH man extradited to the UK to face charges of attempting to murder a Wisbech woman appeared before magistrates on Wednesday. Daniel Tomczak, 27, is accused of attempting to murder the 23-year-old office worker on February 3 last year. He was brough
A POLISH man extradited to the UK to face charges of attempting to murder a Wisbech woman appeared before magistrates on Wednesday.
Daniel Tomczak, 27, is accused of attempting to murder the 23-year-old office worker on February 3 last year. He was brought back to the UK on Tuesday after police obtained an international arrest warrant.
He is also accused of attempting to choke, to suffocate or strangle the woman, to enable himself to commit a burglary.
A third charge alleges burglary, that he entered the woman's home in Milner Road, Wisbech, as a trespasser and stole a Nokia mobile phone, a silver coloured Sanyo DVD player, a CD player and speakers, and that a person in the building was subjected to violence.
You may also want to watch:
Tomczak is also accused of assaulting the woman, causing her actual bodily harm.
The Polish national was sent to appear before a judge at Cambridge Crown Court for a preliminary hearing today (Friday) and was remanded in custody.
- 1 Loft gives up its secret: £60,000 of cannabis plants
- 2 Police finally pull car from Fens river
- 3 Top Cabinet post for NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay
- 4 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 5 Tractor driver error may have caused freight derailment in the Fens
- 6 Camp Beagle protest arrest on suspicion of ‘intimidation’
- 7 County council orders review into £120m lending to This Land
- 8 Survey finds staggering 97 cent support for new Aldi store
- 9 Six-year-old fundraising for air ambulance charity that helped sister during seizure
- 10 446 catalytic converter thefts in just 8 months reported in Cambridgeshire
At an emotional press conference after the attack the woman fought back tears as she spoke of the night an intruder burst into her bedroom and throttled her until she fell unconscious.
In her panic to get away she scrambled out of a first floor window smashing her foot into another window on the way down. With glass embedded in her feet she ran down the road to her parents' home.
The breakthrough in the hunt for her attacker is thought to have occurred earlier this year when a man was found acting suspiciously in a doorway in Wisbech town centre. Police took samples of DNA which led them to the trail of Tomczak.
When police went to arrest him he had returned to Poland, and an international arrest warrant issued.