Free public transport app launched to help Cambs passengers
- Credit: Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority
A new app which provides travellers minute-by-minute updates on when their bus or train is due to arrive is being rolled out across Cambridgeshire.
The free app – called ‘Pocket SmartPanel’ - uses real time data to track public transport arrivals at railway stations and bus stops in 11 market towns and Peterborough.
Its aim is to encourage more people to use public transport across the county.
Dr Nik Johnson, Mayor of the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority, said: “... we are encouraging residents and visitors to use public transport by providing real time bus and train times in a handy format, which they can access on the go.”
Over the summer, bus information will be available on the Pocket SmartPanel for Chatteris, Ely, Huntingdon, Littleport, March, Peterborough, Ramsey, Soham, St Ives, St Neots, Whittlesey and Wisbech.
You may also want to watch:
Train departure information is also available for Ely, Huntingdon, March, Peterborough and St Neots stations.
Travellers will be able to see exactly when their train or bus is due to arrive and keep up with the latest weather forecast.
- 1 Customers report summerhouse builder to fraud investigators
- 2 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
- 3 Medieval pottery unearthed at Cambs campsite
- 4 Town rallies in fight for new hospital
- 5 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 6 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 7 MP and mayor meet businesses in incinerator fight
- 8 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 9 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 10 Power boats thrill crowds at river races
Pocket SmartPanel is now being rolled out county-wide following a successful trial in Cambridge.
The app was developed by Connecting Cambridgeshire in collaboration with the University of Cambridge and uses the same real-time data as the large SmartPanel Screens used across the city.
These are placed in the lobbies of public buildings and workplaces and predict bus and train arrival times.
To download the app:-
- Open the browser on your device
- Type: https://smartcambridge.org/p
- Add the page to your phone’s ‘Homescreen’ and accept the terms and conditions
The page will now automatically display Cambridge weather and Cambridge train times.
Use the + symbol (top right) to choose and add bus timetables, train timetable or weather for locations of your choice. Click ‘Save’.
Users can remove pages by tapping the menu button (three lines, top left).
The map view shows where buses are in real-time so travellers can instantly see whether their bus is on schedule and when it’s approaching their stop.
The live train departure information is provided by National Rail Enquiries and the weather updates come from the Met Office.