Planning committee goes against advice and says YES to supermarket and NO to five wind turbines
COUNCILLORS used their considerable powers tonight to reverse two contentious recommendations put to them by Fenland s chief planning officer. Fenland District Council Planning Committee went against the recommendation of Nigel Brown and voted, decisivel
COUNCILLORS used their considerable powers tonight to reverse two contentious recommendations put to them by Fenland's chief planning officer.
Fenland District Council Planning Committee went against the recommendation of Nigel Brown and voted, decisively, to allow a supermarket to go ahead west of Benwick Road Industrial estate, Whittlesey.
The supermarket plan had bounced backwards and forwards all year but finally tonight the committee agreed it should go ahead. Councillors argued that to wait for other applications for other supermarkets to come forward would be unfair- it was the committee's stance that each application must be considered on its merits.
There was also a surprise in the debate over five more wind turbines planned for Fenland, this time south of Boardinghouse Farm, Knights End Road, March.
You may also want to watch:
Again councillors decided the chief planning officer was wrong and rejected his recommendation to give the new wind farm consent.
Although the committee expect the applicant to appeal, they are confident they can sustain the argument that it is in the wrong place. Both March Town Council and Doddington Parish Council opposed the bid.
- 1 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 2 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 3 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 4 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 5 Former mayor Aigars Balsevics must wait for verdict on pub fate
- 6 Frisson of excitement for Nissen as wartime hut sells for £169,000
- 7 Showcase status for Academy
- 8 47-home estate 'beggars belief' says councillor
- 9 Drug free, drink free BMW driver crashes into wall
- 10 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash