Oops! Residents in Wisbech lose phone lines after suspected drink driver smashes Mini into telegraph pole
- Credit: Twitter/@CambsCops
Some Fen residents went without a phone line at the weekend after a suspected drink driver smashed into a telegraph pole.
The driver slammed their white Mini Cooper into the Openreach pole on Clarkson Avenue in Wisbech on Sunday, November 24 at around midnight.
Pictures from the scene show the telephone pole completely destroyed, with the top half disconnected from the bottom just hanging from its wires.
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Police said: "Car vs BT pole on Clarkson Avenue in Wisbech.
"Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service and East of England Ambulance Service attended the scene, driver was arrested on suspicion of drink driving.
You may also want to watch:
"Road is currently closed for BT to attend and enquiries and on going. Don't drink and drive."
After re-opening the road, the spokesman added: "The above location is now open again following an RTC.
- 1 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 2 Tories retain two Wisbech seats for county council
- 3 Man on the run after stealing e-scooter from child
- 4 Two charged with Wisbech murder
- 5 Suspected drug dealers arrested in Wisbech raid
- 6 Election 2021: Wisbech West tops poll for lowest turnout
- 7 First wholetime woman firefighter in Cambs retires after 30 years
- 8 Three derelict cottages sell in auction for £122,000
- 9 Tories retain Octavia Hill ward in by election
- 10 New £1.5million Co-op store opens its doors – creating 12 local jobs
"Openreach have attended and made the pole safe, however some properties have now lost their phone lines. Please contact your service provider."