Oops! Residents in Wisbech lose phone lines after suspected drink driver smashes Mini into telegraph pole
- Credit: Twitter/@CambsCops
Some Fen residents went without a phone line at the weekend after a suspected drink driver smashed into a telegraph pole.
The driver slammed their white Mini Cooper into the Openreach pole on Clarkson Avenue in Wisbech on Sunday, November 24 at around midnight.
Pictures from the scene show the telephone pole completely destroyed, with the top half disconnected from the bottom just hanging from its wires.
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Police said: "Car vs BT pole on Clarkson Avenue in Wisbech.
"Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service and East of England Ambulance Service attended the scene, driver was arrested on suspicion of drink driving.
You may also want to watch:
"Road is currently closed for BT to attend and enquiries and on going. Don't drink and drive."
After re-opening the road, the spokesman added: "The above location is now open again following an RTC.
- 1 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 2 'It could happen to anyone' - girlfriend of drowning victim speaks out
- 3 Replacing pub with houses ‘effective re-use' of site
- 4 Fenland Council welcomes Covid-19 compliant free rock festival
- 5 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 6 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 7 Two drink drivers lose their licences
- 8 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 9 7 places to avoid the crowds in Cambs this summer
- 10 Fens crime gang ‘boss’ jailed
"Openreach have attended and made the pole safe, however some properties have now lost their phone lines. Please contact your service provider."