Oops! Residents in Wisbech lose phone lines after suspected drink driver smashes Mini into telegraph pole
- Credit: Twitter/@CambsCops
Some Fen residents went without a phone line at the weekend after a suspected drink driver smashed into a telegraph pole.
The driver slammed their white Mini Cooper into the Openreach pole on Clarkson Avenue in Wisbech on Sunday, November 24 at around midnight.
Pictures from the scene show the telephone pole completely destroyed, with the top half disconnected from the bottom just hanging from its wires.
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Police said: "Car vs BT pole on Clarkson Avenue in Wisbech.
"Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service and East of England Ambulance Service attended the scene, driver was arrested on suspicion of drink driving.
"Road is currently closed for BT to attend and enquiries and on going. Don't drink and drive."
After re-opening the road, the spokesman added: "The above location is now open again following an RTC.
- 1 Town road to remain closed following serious crash
- 2 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 3 Police 'increasingly concerned' for man missing since early hours yesterday
- 4 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 5 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
- 6 'Giving a child the chance to be a child lifts my heart’ says foster carer
- 7 OPINION: Jettison inertia and save money
- 8 WEIRD NORFOLK: The local shoe shop haunted by a 'one-legged poltergeist'
- 9 Arson causes fire to rip through derelict building
- 10 Man and teenager jailed after carrying out ‘horrific’ homophobic attack
"Openreach have attended and made the pole safe, however some properties have now lost their phone lines. Please contact your service provider."