Peterborough Cathedral get in the Christmas spirit by releasing carols CD
- Credit: Archant
Popular Christmas carols such as Once in Royal David’s City, O Little Town of Bethlehem and Hark the Herald Angels Sing feature on a new CD released by Peterborough Cathedral Choir.
The music is directed by Steven Grahl and the organist is David Humphreys, Assistant Director of Music at the Cathedral. Also singing on the CD are the Peterborough Cathedral Youth Choir and Festival Chorus.
“We started work on this recording in January and February; although the weather was cold, the Christmas music was still warm, and fresh in our minds,” said Steven Grahl.
“All the hard work has paid off and I am really pleased with the result.”
As well as familiar Christmas carols, the CD includes choral music by Byrd, Leighton and Walton and new compositions by Steven Grahl and Cathedral Lay Clerk, George Haynes.
You may also want to watch:
The CD could become something of a collector’s item because it is the last recording of the choir with the organ at Old Philharmonic pitch. A major project is now underway to re-pitch the Cathedral organ to standard Concert Pitch, so that it can be used with other musical instruments.
The CD is available at £12.50 in person from the Cathedral Shop or online at http://shop.peterborough-cathedral.org.uk/christmas-cd.
- 1 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 2 Mum caught driving with revoked license on school run gets car seized
- 3 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 4 Vicar's concerns over 'hugely vulnerable' rough sleepers
- 5 Man in critical condition after single-vehicle crash
- 6 Rural crime police recover dog in ‘poor state’ while on site check
- 7 Woman threatened for not wearing mask describes fear for safety
- 8 Podcast revisits the mysterious missing case of Terry McSpadden
- 9 Police hunt homemade go-kart ‘causing anti-social behaviour’
- 10 'I lived in the woods' - Suspected murder victim reveals five year ordeal