Peterborough Cathedral get in the Christmas spirit by releasing carols CD
- Credit: Archant
Popular Christmas carols such as Once in Royal David’s City, O Little Town of Bethlehem and Hark the Herald Angels Sing feature on a new CD released by Peterborough Cathedral Choir.
The music is directed by Steven Grahl and the organist is David Humphreys, Assistant Director of Music at the Cathedral. Also singing on the CD are the Peterborough Cathedral Youth Choir and Festival Chorus.
“We started work on this recording in January and February; although the weather was cold, the Christmas music was still warm, and fresh in our minds,” said Steven Grahl.
“All the hard work has paid off and I am really pleased with the result.”
As well as familiar Christmas carols, the CD includes choral music by Byrd, Leighton and Walton and new compositions by Steven Grahl and Cathedral Lay Clerk, George Haynes.
You may also want to watch:
The CD could become something of a collector’s item because it is the last recording of the choir with the organ at Old Philharmonic pitch. A major project is now underway to re-pitch the Cathedral organ to standard Concert Pitch, so that it can be used with other musical instruments.
The CD is available at £12.50 in person from the Cathedral Shop or online at http://shop.peterborough-cathedral.org.uk/christmas-cd.
- 1 Woman killed and four hospitalised after crash
- 2 Pair questioned amid probe into catalytic converter thefts
- 3 The Great British Sunday is a rush to the pumps not the piers
- 4 Showcase status for Academy
- 5 Youth with 'police style baton' caught out by CCTV
- 6 Majority of councillors refuse to object to Wisbech incinerator - for now
- 7 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 8 'Emotional' quartet complete 10k for villager Paul
- 9 Secret Garden Party tickets sell out in hours of going on sale
- 10 New book launches recording family's Covid-19 experience