Passer-by saves Fenland village hall from being destroyed by fire

PUBLISHED: 11:20 01 April 2011

Fire

Fire

Archant

THE swift actions of a passer-by saved a Fenland village hall from being destroyed by a fire.

A fire spread from a hedge to a shed at the Jephson Hall in Station Road, Walpole Cross Keys, in the early hours of Wednesday. The blaze then spread from the shed to a toilet block at the rear of the building.

Flames were already heading into the roof when fire crews arrived and they were able to prevent further damage.

A 70th birthday party planned for this weekend has been relocated and the Wednesday auctions have been temporarily moved to Tilney St Lawrence.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Wisbech Standard. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Wisbech Standard