Overgrown ditch ‘hasn’t been maintained for at least eight years’
- Credit: Andy Burrell
An angry villager is calling on The Environment Agency to tidy an overgrown ditch which “hasn’t been maintained for at least eight years”.
Andy Burrell says the ditch opposite his home on Newgate Road in Tydd St Giles is “becoming shallower” and people are using it to dump garden waste.
“There is a roadside ditch along Newgate Road that has not been maintained for at least eight years,” said Mr Burrell.
“The local councils will not or cannot for whatever reason either maintain the ditch or get the landowner to maintain the ditch.
“Interestingly a number of the roadside drains in the road run into it but again the county highways shrug it off as nothing to do with them.
You may also want to watch:
“The local drainage board North Level Internal Drainage Board are not responsible for the ditch but this ditch should drain into one of their maintained ditches but it is all blocked by debris and weeds.
“The Environment Agency are not interested in taking any action either.
- 1 A 42-bedroom hotel with ballroom and set in three acres for sale
- 2 Paedophile exposed himself to mum near school
- 3 Brother-in-law eyes 400-mile trek in memory of United fan Jamie
- 4 Media 'mischief making' over council investments
- 5 Council told in 2019 Chatteris factory would close
- 6 Flooding: 'We’ve probably lost around £10,000'
- 7 Assault on tax officials lands man in court
- 8 Speeding van driver causes mayhem on Fenland road
- 9 Driver pulled from three-car wreck as one vehicle flips onto its side
- 10 ‘Hugging, kissing' in mayor’s pub –one of 21 Covid breaches
“The ditch is overgrown and becoming shallower, some people in the road even dump grass cuttings and other garden waste into it and it just fills to the brim when it rains heavily.
“A number of gardens opposite the drainage ditch flood; but without the ditch being maintained it is impossible for anyone to say this is the cause.
“The field itself is like a lake in places as it cannot drain anywhere.”
Who is responsible for the ditch on Newgate Road, Tydd St Giles? Email: email@example.com