Over £1,000 is raised for Calais refugees thanks to Wisbech Churches Together carol services and coffee morning
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Churches Together have raised £1,016 to help those caught up in the refugee crisis in Europe.
The money, shared between two charities – Christian Aid and Help Calais, came from a series of events including carol singing events and a coffee morning.
Magdalene House Preparatory School and the Wisbech Interfaith Forum Other organisations also lent their support to the appeal.
The money will be used to buy specific items from the Help Calais Amazon wish list, things needed on the ground in the Calais ‘Jungle Camp’ which will be delivered directly from Amazon to the camp.
Matthew McChlery, chairman of Wisbech Churches Together, said: “A big thank you to all who were involved in the organising of the wide variety of events that helped to make this campaign so successful.
You may also want to watch:
“Thanks must also go to those who attended the various events and gave so generously to help others less fortunate than themselves.
“I am sure the practical help this money will provide is deeply appreciated by those refugees it will assist.”
- 1 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 2 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 3 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 4 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 5 Former mayor Aigars Balsevics must wait for verdict on pub fate
- 6 Frisson of excitement for Nissen as wartime hut sells for £169,000
- 7 Showcase status for Academy
- 8 47-home estate 'beggars belief' says councillor
- 9 Drug free, drink free BMW driver crashes into wall
- 10 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash