OUTWELL: Ray, 85, transforms the gardens at Beaupre Group care home
By THOMAS TAWELL WHEN pensioner Ray Ireland first set about turning the neglected gardens into a tranquil retreat at a Fenland care home, some people were not sure how it would turn out. However, once 85-year-old Mr Ireland got to work transforming the ga
Story by: THOMAS TAWELL
WHEN pensioner Ray Ireland first set about turning the neglected gardens into a tranquil retreat at a Fenland care home, some people were not sure how it would turn out.
However, once 85-year-old Mr Ireland got to work transforming the gardens at Beaupre Group Home, in Outwell, everyone was soon delighted with his efforts.
Despite his grand age he tends to the garden every morning and evening, and still heads out in his car to collect the new plants.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Ireland looks after five small areas around the home where he hoes the gardens and sets the plants.
Phyllis Drew, another resident at the home and secretary of the social club, said: "He used to work on the land for years and years. Then he used to do people's gardens before coming to the home."
- 1 So that's settled - Government not council will fund new school
- 2 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 3 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 4 Inquest opens into death of labourer, 20, who drowned
- 5 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 6 New era begins at table tennis club rescued from the brink
- 7 Author reflects on reasons behind 'The Chapel of Ease'
- 8 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 9 Late antiques dealer's collection to be sold at auction
- 10 Family friends to cycle from Wales to Wisbech to create more happy memories
Green-fingered Mr Ireland, who has been at Beaupre for nearly two years, wanted something to do and began planting in the summer of 2008.
Mrs Drew said: "Before he came to the home, the gardens looked a mess and now they really look nice. We all appreciate everything he does. Everybody that comes round says that they've never seen it look so nice.