OUTWELL: Ray, 85, transforms the gardens at Beaupre Group care home
By THOMAS TAWELL WHEN pensioner Ray Ireland first set about turning the neglected gardens into a tranquil retreat at a Fenland care home, some people were not sure how it would turn out. However, once 85-year-old Mr Ireland got to work transforming the ga
Story by: THOMAS TAWELL
WHEN pensioner Ray Ireland first set about turning the neglected gardens into a tranquil retreat at a Fenland care home, some people were not sure how it would turn out.
However, once 85-year-old Mr Ireland got to work transforming the gardens at Beaupre Group Home, in Outwell, everyone was soon delighted with his efforts.
Despite his grand age he tends to the garden every morning and evening, and still heads out in his car to collect the new plants.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Ireland looks after five small areas around the home where he hoes the gardens and sets the plants.
Phyllis Drew, another resident at the home and secretary of the social club, said: "He used to work on the land for years and years. Then he used to do people's gardens before coming to the home."
- 1 The Chase contestant from Cambs labelled ‘most stunning’ in show’s history
- 2 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 3 Clean, green and affordable: choose market leader Nissan to start your electric motoring journey
- 4 Fit of the Fens challenge to raise cash for the homeless
- 5 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 6 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 7 Driver peers out of Range Rover while trying to cross flooded Welney Wash
- 8 Go-kart star Vinnie shines in Europe ahead of new campaign
- 9 'Chopper was a hard worker and put himself about' - tribute to ex-Fenmen star
- 10 ‘It needs to get sorted’ - heartfelt plea after flood nightmare
Green-fingered Mr Ireland, who has been at Beaupre for nearly two years, wanted something to do and began planting in the summer of 2008.
Mrs Drew said: "Before he came to the home, the gardens looked a mess and now they really look nice. We all appreciate everything he does. Everybody that comes round says that they've never seen it look so nice.