On Track Education Centre is anything but - with Ofsted slamming ‘weak’ teaching and governance in report
- Credit: Archant
Weak governance and teaching has lead to a Wisbech special education centre being told to improve by Ofsted.
The On Track Education Centre, which charges over £35,600 a year per pupil, was handed ‘requires improvement’ ratings on all four of Ofsted’s criteria, and was told by lead inspector John Randall that its overall effectiveness has “declined over time due to weak governance, weaknesses in teaching and assessment.”
Mr Randall’s report following a visit earlier this year said school the school was failing to meet a number of independent school standards and leaders had allowed its effectiveness to deteriorate.
He said the school’s system for monitoring teaching and learning over time lacked clarity, and that some staff do not understand their roles as their job descriptions are not up to date.
The report also said that the school’s 15 pupils, who are all aged between 11 and 19, required improvement and that their attitudes towards learning are not consistently positive.
You may also want to watch:
It was also said that although individual attendance had improved, overall attendance was too low and teachers’ unfamiliarity with the school’s new electronic attendance system means they do not have detailed analysis or accurate figures.
The school was praised, however, for its efforts in making its pupils feel safe and its new leadership team was complimented for its speed in addressing the school’s weaknesses.
- 1 So that's settled - Government not council will fund new school
- 2 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 3 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 4 Inquest opens into death of labourer, 20, who drowned
- 5 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 6 New era begins at table tennis club rescued from the brink
- 7 Author reflects on reasons behind 'The Chapel of Ease'
- 8 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 9 Late antiques dealer's collection to be sold at auction
- 10 Family friends to cycle from Wales to Wisbech to create more happy memories
The school’s proprietors, On Track Education Services Ltd, were told to improve planned lessons, show a good understanding of pupils’ needs and promote good behaviour among them by ensuring its behaviour policy is implemented.
On Track Education had previously received a ‘good’ Ofsted report in 2012.