Official opening for controversial �1m Wisbech playground
THE controversial �1million Waterlees playground in Wisbech will finally be officially opened next month.
The last piece of play equipment has been installed at the ‘self build’ area, believed to be the first of its kind in the world.
The climbing frame posts have been inserted and children using the site will be able to attach decks and side panels to make platforms and dens. The equipment also has a series of climbing nets and rope walkways that can all be adjusted and moved by the children as part of their play.
The decks, sides and nets will be made available to use during staffed sessions. They join two massive barges and a host of other facilities at the playground which has delighted many of the area’s children.
The playground has however been plagued by a number of problems since it started being built last summer.
Angry residents have claimed that their lives have been made a misery since the playground has been built suggesting that drunken youths have ‘taken it over’.
A national media storm also arose after Inspector Andy Sullivan said that the park had become a ‘no-go’ area for his staff after dark.
- 1 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 2 Man, 28, and boy, 15, arrested after major A1101 crash in Wisbech
- 3 Knife-wielding teen jailed after week-long crime spree in Wisbech
- 4 Recap: Main road through Wisbech town centre shut after serious crash
- 5 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 6 Man arrested in Wisbech after illegally entering UK three times
- 7 Inside Wisbech's new 'Get Out' escape room
- 8 Jailed: 58-year-old burglar who stole £57,000 BMW M4 in Wisbech
- 9 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 10 Lorry breaks down on A47 near Wisbech
The opening event on May 7 begins at noon and will finish at 4pm. For more information about the playground visit www.wisbechadventureplay.net