Obituary - Phyllis Cooper
PHYLLIS Ivy Mildred Cooper (nee Pinion), a former teacher at Queen s School, Wisbech and several schools in surrounding villages, has died, aged 94. Born at Newborough, Peterborough, she was one of seven children. The family moved to Wilburton where Phyll
PHYLLIS Ivy Mildred Cooper (nee Pinion), a former teacher at Queen's School, Wisbech and several schools in surrounding villages, has died, aged 94.
Born at Newborough, Peterborough, she was one of seven children. The family moved to Wilburton where Phyllis, or Ivy as she was known, was educated at the village school and then Ely High School.
Her life as an educationalist began at Leverington School before completing her teacher training at Norwich College. Posts at Queen's School, Wisbech, and Payne School, Parson Drove followed.
After marriage to Jack Cooper and the birth of her two eldest children she returned to teaching at the outbreak of the Second World War and was on the staff at Silver Street and Newnham Street Schools in Ely. During that time she worked with the Civil Defence and the WVS. Twice a week trains arrived from London bringing evacuees, who were then housed in the Ely area. Other evenings were spent teaching craft skills to injured airmen at the RAF hospital.
Her next move was to Lincolnshire as head of Sutton St Edmund Primary School where she remained for 30 years until its closure when she transferred to Sutton St James School staying there until retirement.
She was a member of women's professional groups and acted in official capacities on parish and district councils. She also served as a church warden and as a member of the diocesan committee.
- 1 Main road through Wisbech town centre shut after serious crash
- 2 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 3 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 4 Lorry breaks down on A47 near Wisbech
- 5 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 6 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 7 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 8 Eye burglar smashed doors with brick and stole jewellery and chocolate
- 9 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 10 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
In 1980 she returned to the Ely area and continued her support of work in the local community and in the church at Wilburton.
She is survived by four children and two grandchildren.
The funeral service was held at St Peter's Church, Wilburton, followed by burial in Wilburton Cemetery.