Shop Local: ‘We work hard for a better life for our children...’
- Credit: Archant
Oakwood Carpets and Flooring at Bambers Leisure near Wisbech for around three years.
Ryan Brocklehurst and his wife Cheryl moved their family to the area from Derby - and haven’t looked back.
Cheryl said: “We were driving around the area one day and saw this unit was empty.
“The price was reasonable so we thought: ‘There’s nothing to lose, why not go for it?’”
Cheryl looks after the showroom while Ryan and the team go out and fit the carpets.
You may also want to watch:
She describes her husband as ‘entrepreneurial’. He has previously auditioned to be on The Apprentice and reached the final 100 at his latest attempt.
Much of their business is from recommendations. It tends to be friends or family members of customers who have previously used their service.
- 1 Fenland Council loses fight to stop incinerator survey
- 2 Grandmother of drowning victim calls for Bawsey Pits closure
- 3 800 sign in 24 hours to close lake where Radek drowned
- 4 Man in court after more than £656k of cannabis seized
- 5 Man arrested after cannabis factory found after house blaze
- 6 Fire crews free driver trapped in overturned lorry
- 7 Wife's tribute to husband killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 8 14-year-old footballer's 'dream' comes true after securing England trial
- 9 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits
- 10 Major youth football tournament cancelled for second year running
“It means a lot when a customer comes from a personal recommendation,” Cheryl said.
A quick Google search and there’s a recent glowing five-star review.
The customer explains how they had taken a sample of carpet to the showroom, and the team found the exact brand at almost half the price of another quote.
And the fitting team worked over two days to accommodate the customer’s needs.
When the customer realised they had slightly miscalculated their measurements, it didn’t matter because extra had been ordered and it fit perfectly.
The review said: “We are very happy with how they turned out, and the men that turned up to fit the carpets were very friendly and professional.”
As many households used time during the spring lockdown to redecorate, Cheryl admitted they have been very busy since reopening in June.
She said: “We’ve been doing our best to keep up with demand.
“When redecorating, carpet is usually the last thing to be sorted out. It completes the job.”
During the pandemic, they opened another premises closer to their roots in Derby.
She said: “Before, the prices were too high up there but they dropped during the lockdown. So again, we took the opportunity.
“We work hard for a better life for our children and to earn a living.”
Oakwood Carpets and Flooring is based at Bambers Leisure, in Lynn Road. For more visit, www.oakwoodcarpetsandflooring.com.