West Norfolk based American football team hunt for recruits as they prepare to bring their ‘national league qualifying dream’ to life
- Credit: Submitted
A West Norfolk based American football team, now coached by a Soham man, are on the hunt for players to bring their dream of qualifying into the British American Football Association (BAFA) national league a reality.
The King’s Lynn Patriots are determined to qualify into the national league and with a new head coach under their wing; they hope that 2018 is their year.
Chris Wallis, who is an experienced coach and team manager, has joined the team and plans to launch an operation to get the team in the sought-after league.
Chris King, the teams new team committee member and assistant coach, said: “We failed to gain entry last year, and the BAFA has increased the requirements for entry this year.
“But we feel the new management structure, and the people we’ve appointed, will help push the team beyond the standards required.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Wallis, who has returned to coaching after a two-year break, added: “We need to recruit and register a roster of at least 50 players, and play a minimum of five games before November, as part of the application process.
“We want to attract players of all ages, shapes and sizes.
- 1 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 'Chopper was a hard worker and put himself about' - tribute to ex-Fenmen star
- 4 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 5 Council chief executive accused of 'indifference' over Covid-19 response
- 6 Stolen American-style fridge was lifted over 10ft security fence
- 7 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
- 8 'Eccentric traveller' to ride Penny-Farthing from London to Paris
- 9 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 10 More than 60 fines issued to Covid rulebreakers in Cambs this year
“The great thing about American Football is that it can be a sport for specialists which allows anybody, regardless of size or fitness, to contribute on the pitch.
American Football is one of the fastest growing sports in the UK, and the Patriots are keen to create a team that represents West Norfolk, North Cambridgeshire and South Lincolnshire, not just Kings Lynn.
“We already have players from the Wisbech area, but we need more” Chris said.
Initial focus is on the adult team, but the Patriots are keen to begin plans for a youth team and would like to hear from anybody, of any age, interested in joining the team, or any other aspect of American Football.
Mr King added: “A winning team on the field starts with a strong management team off it so we are looking for anybody interested in helping, even if they can’t play.
“That is the beauty of American Football, you don’t have to be a player to experience the hype and excitement of the sport on game day.”
For more information or to contact the team, visit: www.kingslynnpatriots.co.uk