Wisbech mayor commissions Elgood’s to serve up his own special brew for charity - £2.50 a pint ‘NightMayor’ ale
- Credit: Archant
His blogs and social media battles have become the stuff of legend and Wisbech mayor Steve Tierney is fully aware of the controversy he can sometimes cause.
But his latest venture might just bring all parties together – for a party!
Cllr Tierney has commissioned a special ‘mayoral beer’ from Wisbech brewer Elgood’s that he’s calling ‘NightMayor’
“Just for fun,” he wrote on the Facebook page he created to record his 12 months as the town’s civic head.
“This rather special ale should be available shortly in The Angel, the King’s Head and the Three Tuns,” he says.
You may also want to watch:
“I’d like to thank these pubs for allowing me to run a charity beer for a month or so.”
The three pubs are owned by Elgood’s but run by the mayor’s friend and fellow town councillor Aigar Balsevics.
- 1 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 2 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 3 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 4 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
- 5 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 6 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 7 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 8 Ex-glider pilot and education pioneer dies
- 9 Man in critical condition after single-vehicle crash
- 10 Mum caught driving with revoked license on school run gets car seized
Cllr Tierney says that “before anybody gets uppity” he would like everyone to know that he’s paid for the beer out of his own pocket “and not from any council or mayoral funds”.
‘Nightmayor’ – that Elgood’s describe on the label as a” curiously strong winter ale” - will be sold for £2.50 a pint. Profits will go to the mayor’s charity fund.
Mayor Tierney added a seasonal note of warning to prospective purchasers to “please drink responsibly”.