Wisbech mayor commissions Elgood’s to serve up his own special brew for charity - £2.50 a pint ‘NightMayor’ ale
- Credit: Archant
His blogs and social media battles have become the stuff of legend and Wisbech mayor Steve Tierney is fully aware of the controversy he can sometimes cause.
But his latest venture might just bring all parties together – for a party!
Cllr Tierney has commissioned a special ‘mayoral beer’ from Wisbech brewer Elgood’s that he’s calling ‘NightMayor’
“Just for fun,” he wrote on the Facebook page he created to record his 12 months as the town’s civic head.
“This rather special ale should be available shortly in The Angel, the King’s Head and the Three Tuns,” he says.
You may also want to watch:
“I’d like to thank these pubs for allowing me to run a charity beer for a month or so.”
The three pubs are owned by Elgood’s but run by the mayor’s friend and fellow town councillor Aigar Balsevics.
- 1 Ditch crash victim seriously injured
- 2 Council offers reserved parking for elderly heading for Covid jab
- 3 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 4 'Big red key' used by cops in dawn raid on suspected drug dealers
- 5 Owner's desperate plea - and £500 reward - to find missing dog
- 6 Nitrous oxide canisters no laughing matter say Fenland police
- 7 Rugby club fears vendetta after vandals strike again
- 8 Man, 39, convicted of assault on two HMRC officers by beating
- 9 60 care home residents and staff vaccinated
- 10 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
Cllr Tierney says that “before anybody gets uppity” he would like everyone to know that he’s paid for the beer out of his own pocket “and not from any council or mayoral funds”.
‘Nightmayor’ – that Elgood’s describe on the label as a” curiously strong winter ale” - will be sold for £2.50 a pint. Profits will go to the mayor’s charity fund.
Mayor Tierney added a seasonal note of warning to prospective purchasers to “please drink responsibly”.