NEWS AT TEN JUNE 10, 2008: CROWDS TURN UP TO SEE NEW MUSIC STUDIOS IN THE FENS
CROWDS TURN UP TO SEE FENLAND S NEW MUSIC STUDIO MORE than twice the expected number of people made the most of a guided tour and free gigs at a 200-year-old barn, which has been converted into a state-of-the-art studio. Grange Farm Studio, near Em
CROWDS TURN UP TO SEE FENLAND'S NEW MUSIC STUDIO
MORE than twice the expected number of people made the most of a guided tour and free gigs at a 200-year-old barn, which has been converted into a state-of-the-art studio.
Grange Farm Studio, near Emneth, held its launch party on Saturday with six live acts performing to visitors and guided tours showing people behind the scenes of the recording and production studio.
Studio owner Lucy Ryan said: "We thought we would get about 50 people through the doors but we got well over 100 people come along.
"We also got a television production team have a look around, as well as a number of musicians to talk about recording music."
The studio, which took two years to construct, is open for clients looking to record music. It will also play host to children's parties and hen nights.
- 1 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 2 Lorry breaks down on A47 near Wisbech
- 3 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 4 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 5 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 6 Eye burglar smashed doors with brick and stole jewellery and chocolate
- 7 ‘Sudden death’ reported at Nene and Ramnoth School in Wisbech
- 8 Megan realises netball dream ahead of Commonwealth Games bow
- 9 Man admits west Norfolk arson
- 10 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
Visit www.grangefarmstudio.com for more information, or contact 01945 430265.
POLICE LAUNCH APPEAL AFTER BURGLARY AT OUTWELL
POLICE are appealing for witnesses to a burglary that occurred in Outwell.
It happened at some point between June 4 at 7pm and June 6 at 11am at an address on Lowside. The offender(s) smashed a small pane of glass in a back door and reached in and unlocked the door.
They entered the property and stole a variety of items including a wood burner, a electric tile cutter, a screwdriver set, a screwdriver drill bit set and a table top saw.
'UNSIGHTLY' HOUSE COULD MAKE WAY FOR 15 HOMES
A HOUSE described as "unsightly, dominating and in poor repair" but which sold last year for £800,000 is set to be demolished to make way for 15 new homes.
The house, at 55 The Chase, Leverington, has been bought by Wisbech based East Anglian Developments UK Ltd who have circulated neighbours with details of their proposals.
David Trundley, their design consultant, says the site has been earmarked for sometime by Fenland Council and they now hope to create a small estate of houses following the demolition of the existing property.
He said the current house "is not commercially viable for repair and the street scene will be enhanced by its removal and the creation of an attractive housing development."
COUNCILLOR 'ENCOURAGED' BY NEW SPEED MEASURES
A LOCAL councillor says he is "very encouraged" at the introduction of speed calming measures implemented outside Marshland St James Primary School in one of the villages he represents.
The two devices recently installed flash speed warnings of 20 miles per hour at times specified by the school and are aimed at reducing the risk to children during school hours. Previously the speed limit for vehicles passing the infants school gate was 40 mph.
Councillor David Markinson who began the 12 month campaign on the schools behalf said: "I am delighted for all those that use the school and in particular the little children who were at potential risk from vehicles including HGVs travelling at unacceptable speeds past the school.
"These flashing 20 mph signals operate at times to suit the school and are only in use for short periods at a time when required. The Southern Area Road Safety Committee assisted me in lobbying for this and it is one of only four trial schemes in operation."
MARCH SET FOR NEW HOMES AFTER APPEAL WON
A HOUSING group won an appeal against a Fenland District Council decision to refuse planning permission for it to demolish disused garages and build 11 homes.
Flagship Housing Group had its plans for the development at Allotment Gardens, Smiths Chase, March, turned down by the council in November last year. However, a local government inspector granted planning permission subject to a number of conditions.
An application for costs has been made by Flagship Housing against the council but that will be decided separately.
Inspector Colin Cockshaw said the main issues were the possible consequences of the development on the safety and convenience of highway users.
Mr Cockshaw said while the existing access does not comply with normal requirements of the highway authority and Smiths Chase is a main pedestrian route, there is little to suggest the access is unsafe.
CORONER OPENS INQUEST INTO 59 YEAR OLD
AN inquest has been opened into the death of 59-year-old Raymond Thorpe who died at his home in Elm Road, Wisbech, on May 23.
Coroner William Morris adjourned the inquest to a date to be fixed after hearing the cause of death was unknown.