New Wisbech information centre set to open in May
A NEW information centre designed to promote the best of Wisbech is preparing for its grand opening.
The Wisbech and District Information Centre, in Post Office Lane, is due to open its doors in May.
The centre, which is guaranteed for the next three years, was the brainchild of Wisbech Area Regeneration and Development Trust (WisARD) when it was looking for premises to replace the town’s tourist offices.
But when Fenland District Council decided to keep the tourist centre, the group decided to go ahead with the project anyway.
WisARD chairman David Oliver, who is also Wisbech Town Council leader, said: “This was an idea which came about originally when we were told we might be losing the information centre completely.
You may also want to watch:
“We were looking to see how we could improve things and decided it would be good to have a hub for all the information about the town.”
Funds for the centre were put up by the Robert Hall Charity and Hudson Foundation.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 6 'Great improvement' - village pond gets a makeover
- 7 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
- 8 Child rapist, 57, behind bars for sexually abusing three children
- 9 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 10 'We will improve' believes new Wisbech St Mary boss after opening defeat
The town council is also supporting the project, meaning it will run until at least 2015.
Cllr Oliver said: “A lot of people think it is a brilliant idea and are on board with it.
“It will be run by volunteers initially so if there is anyone out there who has a good knowledge of Wisbech, we would like to hear from them.”
Those interested should call Cllr Oliver on 01945 587437.