40 jobs for Wisbech as Wickes prepare to open their 25,000 sq ft store first proposed in 2006
- Credit: Archant
Twelve years after Wickes first considered moving to Wisbech, their new 25,000 square feet store – offering jobs for up to 40 people – is set to open next month.
The home improvement retailer, with over 200 sites across the UK, will open north of Belgrave Retail Park on February 7,
Wickes first proposed moving to Wisbech in 2008 to fill what they felt was a ‘strategic gap’ between King’s Lynn and Peterborough.
However the project was shelved temporarily but resurrected in 2016 when the application came before Fenland planners to build the new store that will be accessed via Sandown Road with a service access off Enterprise Way.
Designed for Travis Perkins (Property) Ltd, the proposed store comprised 20,000 sq ft sales area with 5,000 sq.ft mezzanine and 5,000 sq.ft outdoor project centre.
Wickes is one of the UK’s fastest growing home improvement retailers; it opened its first store in 1972.
There are currently 10,000+ products in the Wickes range from kitchens and bathrooms to paint and timber, all of which are available to buy in-store, online or by telephone.
- 1 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 2 Man taken to hospital after 'welfare' concerns
- 3 Former Wisbech mayor Aigars Balsevics charged with rape
- 4 Cup winners, bumper crowds and an ex-England star amongst Fenmen success
- 5 Teenager, 19, on County Drug Lines heroin and crack cocaine charge
- 6 Dashcam appeal after three die in three-vehicle A1 crash
- 7 Dealer flees on foot leaving drugs, cash and his bike behind
- 8 Donkeys' grassland could be replaced with seven homes
- 9 Teens arrested after woman threatened with hammer in Wisbech
- 10 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire