New variety of potato going on sale nationwide were grown here in Fenland
CO-OPERATIVE food stores nationwide are to stock a new variety of potato grown exclusively by The Co-operative Farms in Cambridgeshire. Pioneer potatoes, named after the Rochdale Pioneers who founded the Co-operative Movement in 1844, are cultivated by
CO-OPERATIVE food stores nationwide are to stock a new variety of potato grown exclusively by The Co-operative Farms in Cambridgeshire.
"Pioneer" potatoes, named after the Rochdale Pioneers who founded the Co-operative Movement in 1844, are cultivated by The Co-operative Farms at Coldham, near Wisbech.
The new variety is ideal for boiling, saut�ing or using in salads, and can be eaten hot or cold. The name was chosen after a nationwide competition among staff, won by a colleague at The Co-operative's head office in Manchester.
Pioneer potatoes are the latest addition to The Co-operative's expanding "Grown by us" range - food and drink either grown by the Co-operative Farms, or made using ingredients grown by the business.
You may also want to watch:
Russell Armstrong, who runs the 3,600-acre Co-operative Farm at Coldham, said: "Our 'Grown by us' range has been a great success so far and is very popular with shoppers. Pioneer potatoes from Coldham are a worthy addition to the range. We are very proud of them, and I'm sure the original Rochdale Pioneers would have been very proud as well."
Pioneer potatoes, grown at Coldham, are available in around 250 Co-operative food stores throughout the UK.
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 3 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 4 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 5 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
- 6 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 7 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 8 Ex-glider pilot and education pioneer dies
- 9 100 mile charity walk inspired by mum's breast cancer recovery
- 10 Room to improve as villagers fail to cope with rampant visitors