New £1.5million Co-op store opens its doors – creating 12 local jobs
- Credit: Lincolnshire Co-op
A new £1.5million Lincolnshire Co-op food store has opened its doors in a Cambridgeshire town, creating 12 jobs for the community.
The shop, located at West End in Whittlesey, stocks goods from local producers including Fenspirits and Elgood’s Brewery, both based in Wisbech.
Its first customers were welcomed inside on Thursday, April 29 and bosses marked the occasion by making a £500 donation to two charities.
As well as cash going to Defibrillators for All and Whittlesey Emergency Food Aid, shoppers will also be raising money for Whittlesey Community First Responders.
Kim Arnold, store manager, said: “We’re enjoying welcoming our new customers inside and showing them what we have to offer.
You may also want to watch:
“The feedback has been positive so far and people really seem to like the wide range of products and baked goods.”
The store stocks products from Lincolnshire Co-op’s Love Local range, which sources goods from 60 local producers, including sausages, pork pies and scotch eggs by Grasmere Farm, based in Deeping St James.
- 1 Busy month as port handles nine ships in May
- 2 Damning care home report reveals all areas ‘require improvement’
- 3 Two mystery sinkholes appear across town during scorching weekend
- 4 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
- 6 A fiver for a photographic tour of historic Wisbech
- 7 Jail for man who broke partner’s nose and intimidated witness
- 8 ‘It’s a sad thing really’ - vandalism at village church and war memorial
- 9 Walking tours, open days and exhibitions to 'celebrate the Fens'
- 10 Thunderstorms set to hit Cambs after hot intense weekend
The store is open from 7am until 10pm, seven days a week.