New group set up in Leverington with aim of getting village a play area
A NEW group has been set up in Leverington, Cambridgeshire, with the aim of getting a play area for village youngsters. A site has been earmarked and the first fundraising event has been planned for Good Friday (April 2). Sarah Dav
Story by: MAGGIE GIBSON
A NEW group has been set up in Leverington, Cambridgeshire, with the aim of getting a play area for village youngsters.
A site has been earmarked and the first fundraising event has been planned for Good Friday (April 2).
Sarah Davey, a parent and secretary of the group, said: After the 'outstanding' Ofsted performance of Leverington Primary School and all the hard work the children have put into their education, it is felt they deserve somewhere safe and fun to play after school.
You may also want to watch:
"At the moment there are very little facilities in the village for children and with the money being spent recently in the town centre play areas and open spaces it is now time to act on getting some of this money spent on the villages."
Mrs Davey said attempts were made last year to acquire funding for a project but were not successful.
- 1 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 2 ‘You now have s**t on your face,’ objector to planning scheme told
- 3 Police thank eagle-eyed motorist for being ‘right place, right time’
- 4 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 5 Suspected drink-driver, 41, arrested after tip-off from resident
- 6 Man who died in road crash is named
- 7 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in live Facebook video stream
- 8 Reporter shares mid-treatment stages of teeth transformation
- 9 Entrepreneurs’ lockdown invention wins big at London competition
- 10 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
She said: "We are more organised than we were last year and certainly have the drive to push this forward. We have a new committee set up called the Leverington Playground Group and we have organised our first Fun Day."
The fun day takes place at Leverington Sports and Social Club from 11am-4pm and will include displays of gymnastics, street dancing and tae kwon-do. There will also be a bouncy castle, car boot, an Easter egg hunt, raffles, stalls and more.
• Offers of help are needed for the event along with raffle prizes. Contact Mrs Davey on 07900 961727, or Brenda Barber on 07533 351977.