Nearly £45,000 seized from a drugs gang that included members of a Wisbech family is to be forfeited by law
- Credit: Archant
A drugs gang that included four members of a Wisbech family have been ordered to hand over £44,000 which was seized from addresses across the country.
Six men and three women were jailed for a total of 68 years in 2013 for their roles in the drugs ring which involved the supply of heroin across Cambridgeshire, Lincolnshire, Norfolk, London and West Yorkshire.
Now a court has ruled that £44,949 recovered during the operation should be forfeited under the Proceeds Of Crime Act after an investigation by the Eastern Region Special Operations Unit (ERSOU).
The money was seized from addresses in Wisbech, Spalding and Crowland, Downham Market and Heckmondwike in West Yorkshire.
The forfeiture order was made at Norwich Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday (28 October) on the grounds that the cash seized represented the proceeds of crime or was intended to be used in future crime.
You may also want to watch:
Detective Chief Inspector Chris Balmer, from ERSOU Regional Asset Recovery Team, said: “The message to take from this is simple. Crime doesn’t pay when ERSOU are on your case. Even if you think you’ve made a profit, and even if you try to hide it, we will come and take it from you.
“This money will go to pay for the fight against crime in the Eastern region and beyond, and ERSOU officers will work tirelessly to add to it by stripping assets from criminals who bring misery to decent people everywhere.”
- 1 The Chase contestant from Cambs labelled ‘most stunning’ in show’s history
- 2 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 3 Clean, green and affordable: choose market leader Nissan to start your electric motoring journey
- 4 Fit of the Fens challenge to raise cash for the homeless
- 5 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 6 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 7 Driver peers out of Range Rover while trying to cross flooded Welney Wash
- 8 Go-kart star Vinnie shines in Europe ahead of new campaign
- 9 'Chopper was a hard worker and put himself about' - tribute to ex-Fenmen star
- 10 ‘It needs to get sorted’ - heartfelt plea after flood nightmare
Breakdown of sentences (addresses correct at time of sentence):
David Higginson, 69, of Begdale Road, Wisbech – 12 years
Denise Higginson, 61, of Begdale Road – six years
Sarah Jane Higginson, 39, of Silt Road, Nordelph, near Downham Market - six-and-a-half years
Paul Ward, 46, of Silt Road, Nordelph, near Downham Market - six-and-a-half years
Paul Higginson, 41, of Begdale Road, Wisbech – 10 years eight months
Kabir Hussain, 36, of Artillery Street, Heckmondwicke, West Yorkshire – 12 years
Megan Parr, 39, of Ellen Crescent, Spalding – two years
Darren Driscoll, 40, of Church Lane, Crowland – eight-and-a-half years
Mohammed Tariq, 49 – four years