Tesco calls for volunteers to help with the UK’s biggest Christmas food collection
- Credit: Archant
Volunteers are being sought in Wisbech to help with a nationwide food collection to help people in need this Christmas.
Leading food charities are looking for members of the public to help man donation points at larger Tesco stores from Thursday November 30 to Saturday December 2 as part of the Tesco Food Collection.
The annual collection will see Tesco customers encouraged to donate long-life food to help foodbanks and community groups support people in need this Christmas.
Tesco say they will top up customer donations by 20 per cent to further support the two charities in their work.
A Tesco spokesman said: “Last year, 3.4 million meals were collected in the Tesco Food Collection, and since the launch in 2012, more than 46 million meals have been donated to the two charities by generous Tesco customers.
You may also want to watch:
To make this year’s collection a success volunteers are needed to hand out shopping lists to customers, so they can see the food items needed by foodbanks and community groups in their area, and to answer questions customers have.
Alec Brown, head of community at Tesco said: “Together we can make a real difference this Christmas through Tesco’s Food Collection scheme.
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 3 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 4 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 5 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 6 100 mile charity walk inspired by mum's breast cancer recovery
- 7 Ex-glider pilot and education pioneer dies
- 8 Room to improve as villagers fail to cope with rampant visitors
- 9 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 10 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
“Our customers have been incredibly generous in recent years and with the help of volunteers we hope to collect even more this year to support those who really need it.”
For more information visit www.fareshare.org.uk/food-collection or www.trusselltrust.org/food-collection-volunteer