Tesco calls for volunteers to help with the UK’s biggest Christmas food collection
- Credit: Archant
Volunteers are being sought in Wisbech to help with a nationwide food collection to help people in need this Christmas.
Leading food charities are looking for members of the public to help man donation points at larger Tesco stores from Thursday November 30 to Saturday December 2 as part of the Tesco Food Collection.
The annual collection will see Tesco customers encouraged to donate long-life food to help foodbanks and community groups support people in need this Christmas.
Tesco say they will top up customer donations by 20 per cent to further support the two charities in their work.
A Tesco spokesman said: “Last year, 3.4 million meals were collected in the Tesco Food Collection, and since the launch in 2012, more than 46 million meals have been donated to the two charities by generous Tesco customers.
To make this year’s collection a success volunteers are needed to hand out shopping lists to customers, so they can see the food items needed by foodbanks and community groups in their area, and to answer questions customers have.
Alec Brown, head of community at Tesco said: “Together we can make a real difference this Christmas through Tesco’s Food Collection scheme.
- 1 Recap: Main road through Wisbech town centre shut after serious crash
- 2 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 3 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 4 Lorry breaks down on A47 near Wisbech
- 5 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 6 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 7 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 8 Eye burglar smashed doors with brick and stole jewellery and chocolate
- 9 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 10 Man in his 20s dies after crash in west Norfolk
“Our customers have been incredibly generous in recent years and with the help of volunteers we hope to collect even more this year to support those who really need it.”
For more information visit www.fareshare.org.uk/food-collection or www.trusselltrust.org/food-collection-volunteer