Two mystery sinkholes appear across town during scorching weekend
- Credit: Facebook/Policing Fenland
Mysterious sinkholes appeared across a Fenland town amid a scorching hot weekend, with blistering temperatures warmer than Ibiza.
Two large holes were reported within minutes of each other on different roads in Wisbech on Sunday (June 13), leaving police officers baffled.
“I don’t know what is going on today,” said a spokesperson for Cambridgeshire Police after being called out to the second hole of the day.
The first was discovered on Ramnoth Road, forcing officers to close the road while they worked to ensure the safety of motorists and pedestrians.
The second, slightly larger, hole was found on Blackfriars Road, right outside Empire Theatre, sparking a warning from Fen Cops to “avoid the area”.
“Officers are looking into it,” joked Cambridgeshire Police. “On a serious note, Highways have been called,” they confirmed.
A resident said: “All this hot weather has contracted the moist fenland ground. All we need is a bit of a downpour and it'll be areet (sic).”
- 1 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 2 'Wide range of people' will benefit from village homes, say developers
- 3 Woman in court over town pub burglary
- 4 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 5 Princess hears first hand account of modern slavery
- 6 Princess Eugenie on mission to stop modern slavery
- 7 Rachael takes bronze at national hairdressing competition
- 8 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 9 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 10 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights