Mystery deepens into how an engaged couple from Lithuania - happily living and working in the Fens- walked barefoot to their death

Nonita Karajevaite (left) and Tadas Zaleskas. Norfolk Police/PA Wire

Nonita Karajevaite (left) and Tadas Zaleskas. Norfolk Police/PA Wire - Credit: PA

Mystery surrounding the deaths of an engaged couple who were struck by a car while walking barefoot along the A47 near Wisbech has deepened.

Leaving King's Lynn County Court are the family of Nonita Karajevaite. Pictured (R) is sister Dzenit

Leaving King's Lynn County Court are the family of Nonita Karajevaite. Pictured (R) is sister Dzenita Karaziniene. Picture: Ian Burt - Credit: Ian Burt

Details of the final hours of Nonita Karajevaite, 24, and Tadas Zaleskas, 26, emerged at an inquest in King’s Lynn yesterday.

While the hearing will not be concluded until next year, the inquest was told the couple had posted their house keys through the letter box at their home, in Church Road, Emneth, and they had dismantled their mobile phones.

Both had also recently taken a cocktail of drugs including amphetamines and cannabis.

It also emerged that a pair of trainers and plimsolls, plus a ladies’ handbag, contact lenses and an empty rucksack, were found weeks after their deaths, near the A47.

The Lithuanian couple were seen walking from their home on the morning of July 20 last year, and then at Worzals farm shop at Walpole Highway, where they asked an assistant to call the police, before walking away “hand in hand” after hugging.

They were then seen by a motorist on the eastbound carriageway of the A47 before they were struck by a car at Terrington St John, near King’s Lynn, at about 2.15pm.

Most Read

Miss Karajevaite’s sister, Dzenita Karaziniene, told the inquest the couple had been together since 2008, and were due to be married on September 6.

Speaking through an interpreter, she said: “Both of them were happy, making jokes and looking forward to the wedding.”

She tried to call her sister on July 20, and went round to their home the next day.

She said: “The doors were locked; we saw his house keys on the floor and my sister’s on the kitchen table, plus a wallet and phone. The house was upside down. The mobile phones were dismantled.”

Motorist Joanne Ayres drove by the couple on the A47.

She said: “They were determined in their manner, intent on getting somewhere. The woman could not carry herself and the man was supporting her with his arm around her waist. I thought they were putting themselves in danger from other motorists on such a busy road.”

Earlier this year the case was closed by police. The inquest was adjourned to a date to be fixed.

Tadas was employed as a factory worker in March and Nonita, a part-time beautician, was also employed as a factory worker in nearby Wisbech.

After their deaths Det Chief Insp Paul Durham had revealed the earliest sighting of the couple on the day they died was at 12.30pm at the Elme Hall Hotel roundabout with the A1101 and A47.

At 1.20pm the couple went into Worzals garden centre at Walpole Highway, off the A47.

“Both of them calmly said ‘call police’” said Det Chief Insp Durham. “The lady in the shop went to get help but they walked off.”

An hour later both were dead.