MP joins WI members for a centenary baton visit
- Credit: Archant
Local MP Steve Barclay joined members of Elm WI to help celebrate the group’s 100th anniversary.
The WI’s Centenary Baton was in the village for a fleeting visit as it continued on its national tour of the organisation’s 69 federations.
The baton, which started its journey in Anglesey where the WI was originally formed 100 years ago, has been touring the local area.
it has been to the Isle of Ely Federation, Emneth, Upwell, Friday Bridge, Marshland St James, Wisbech and Tydd St Giles.
Mr Barclay was invited to join the Elm branch members to witness the baton’s journey through the village.
You may also want to watch:
The baton will stay within the Isle of Ely Federation until Tuesday (October 28) when it will be passed on to Cambridgeshire Federation at a special afternoon at Witchford Village College where Michael Portillo will be a guest.
- 1 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 2 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 3 ‘You now have s**t on your face,’ objector to planning scheme told
- 4 Man who died in road crash is named
- 5 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in live Facebook video stream
- 6 Adult disability service on staying strong during Covid-19 pandemic
- 7 Reporter shares mid-treatment stages of teeth transformation
- 8 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 9 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 10 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart