Motorist narrowly avoids head on collision on the A17 at Walpole St Andrew after overtaking on wrong side of dual carriageway
- Credit: Archant
A driver narrowly avoided a head-on collision after attempting to overtake a lorry by using the opposite side of a central reservation.
The manoeuvre was caught on film by lorry driver Michael Wayman as he was travelling along the A17 in Norfolk on Tuesday morning.
It took place just a day after a young woman was killed and two children were seriously injured on the same stretch of road.
Oncoming traffic flashed the vehicle and were forced to brake to avoid an accident.
Mr Wayman’s wife, Nicola, said her husband had been approaching the junction to Walpole St Andrew when he noticed the vehicle approaching.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “He looked in his mirror and saw this 4x4 coming up by him and he could not believe what he saw. It was the day after the accident and there could have been another one. It could have been horrendous.
“Lorries can do 50mph these days, so it is not like they cause long tail backs. The driver must have been doing 70mph.”
- 1 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 2 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 3 Former mayor Aigars Balsevics must wait for verdict on pub fate
- 4 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 5 47-home estate 'beggars belief' says councillor
- 6 Showcase status for Academy
- 7 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 8 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 9 Drug free, drink free BMW driver crashes into wall
- 10 ‘From street dog to show champion’ - how Toby rescued his family
The event was captured on Mr Wayman’s dashboard camera