More than 2,500 Fenland people claim Jobseeker's Allowance in 2009
MORE people have claimed Jobseeker s Allowance in Fenland this year than any other year since its introduction, according to figures obtained by Malcolm Moss MP. The figures were revealed by the North East Cambs MP following a question to a Parliamentary
MORE people have claimed Jobseeker's Allowance in Fenland this year than any other year since its introduction, according to figures obtained by Malcolm Moss MP.
The figures were revealed by the North East Cambs MP following a question to a Parliamentary Under-Secretary for the Department for Work and Pensions.
A total of 2,575 people have claimed Jobseeker's Allowance in 2009, compared to 1,410 from the same period last year.
In the first year Jobseeker's Allowance was available - 1997 - 2,077 people claimed the benefit.
Mr Moss' question also revealed that 4,490 people in Fenland claim Incapacity Benefit, down from last year's total of 4,700; and that 3,340 people claim Income Support.
- 1 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 2 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 3 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 4 Two escape unhurt after car plunges into river
- 5 Café holds 'heavy heart' as it announces closure
- 6 Murder inquiry as teenage woman dies after car crash in Norfolk village
- 7 Cigarette butt in stolen car puts burglar behind bars
- 8 Murder suspects continue to be quizzed as detectives seek CCTV
- 9 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 10 Mechanic turned astrophotographer's stunning images of space