Volunteer police cadets from Meadowgate School in Wisbech enjoy a trip to police training centre
- Credit: Archant
Volunteer police cadets from Meadowgate School in Wisbech enjoyed a trip to Alconbury police training centre to learn about search skills with officers.
A Cambridgeshire Police spokesman said: “They’ve had a super time and learnt a lot.”
Volunteer police cadets are aged between 13 and 16. Other units in the policing family are Peterborough, affiliated with the Thomas Deacon Academy and Soham, affiliated with Soham Village College.
All cadets follow an intensive 13-week induction programme which prepare them for community safety work and education opportunities in their local communities.
Topics covered during the course include crime prevention, local policing and being a good citizen.
You may also want to watch:
At a recent ceremony for new cadets one of the unit coordinators, Sergeant Caroline Scully, said: “The Volunteer Police Cadet scheme gives these young people the chance to volunteer in their communities in a safe and organised way.”
A police spokesman said: “It only takes the actions of a small number of young people to make a difference and instigate positive changes and I’m confident that together we will transform many more young people’s lives through this innovative scheme.”
- 1 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
- 2 Customers report summerhouse builder to fraud investigators
- 3 Medieval pottery unearthed at Cambs campsite
- 4 MP and mayor meet businesses in incinerator fight
- 5 Pub demolition decision deferred
- 6 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 7 Work starts on £3.16m apprenticeship training school
- 8 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
- 9 Yard sale raises over £1,400 from second annual event
- 10 Councillors praised for 'tireless' illegal encampment work
The Operational Planning and Support Unit at Alconbury is home to all police the training locally including public order, dogs, crowd control.
There are mock urban areas with realistic training, fire bombs, real crowds, missiles and road policing training.