Volunteer police cadets from Meadowgate School in Wisbech enjoy a trip to police training centre
- Credit: Archant
Volunteer police cadets from Meadowgate School in Wisbech enjoyed a trip to Alconbury police training centre to learn about search skills with officers.
A Cambridgeshire Police spokesman said: “They’ve had a super time and learnt a lot.”
Volunteer police cadets are aged between 13 and 16. Other units in the policing family are Peterborough, affiliated with the Thomas Deacon Academy and Soham, affiliated with Soham Village College.
All cadets follow an intensive 13-week induction programme which prepare them for community safety work and education opportunities in their local communities.
Topics covered during the course include crime prevention, local policing and being a good citizen.
You may also want to watch:
At a recent ceremony for new cadets one of the unit coordinators, Sergeant Caroline Scully, said: “The Volunteer Police Cadet scheme gives these young people the chance to volunteer in their communities in a safe and organised way.”
A police spokesman said: “It only takes the actions of a small number of young people to make a difference and instigate positive changes and I’m confident that together we will transform many more young people’s lives through this innovative scheme.”
- 1 A 42-bedroom hotel with ballroom and set in three acres for sale
- 2 Hickford quits Manor Farm on eve of damning report
- 3 Brother-in-law eyes 400-mile trek in memory of United fan Jamie
- 4 Media 'mischief making' over council investments
- 5 Paedophile exposed himself to mum near school
- 6 Council told in 2019 Chatteris factory would close
- 7 Flooding: 'We’ve probably lost around £10,000'
- 8 Group of children prank call police following ‘several hoax calls’
- 9 Council calls for views on improving travel across Fenland
- 10 Wife leads tributes to 'generous' husband after battle with Covid-19
The Operational Planning and Support Unit at Alconbury is home to all police the training locally including public order, dogs, crowd control.
There are mock urban areas with realistic training, fire bombs, real crowds, missiles and road policing training.