Amazing gesture by store owner just hours after JCB used in ram raid at branch of McColl’s
- Credit: Archant
Hours after raiders used a JCB to smash their way into McColl’s in Wisbech, store bosses handed over goods that might otherwise be destroyed to a local support group.
Police were called at 3.12am on Good Friday after being alerted to a ram raid in progress at McColl’s in Walton Road.
A police spokesman said: “On officers’ arrival no offenders were at the scene, however a JCB remained in the middle of the road.”
Once store bosses arrived, they decided there were some goods that wouldn’t keep, and they contacted local councillors.
“The owner and staff were very keen to ensure nothing was wasted during this time and those who needed it, received it,” said a town council spokesman.
You may also want to watch:
Volunteer councillors the items and delivered the items to 50 Backpacks, the Wisbech support group helping homeless and vulnerable.
“50 Backpacks are doing an amazing job getting food to those who are struggling and were very happy to see more supplies being delivered to them,” said the council spokesman.
- 1 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 2 Top Cabinet post for NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay
- 3 Man confronted in live stream cleared of all sex abuse allegations
- 4 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 5 Loft gives up its secret: £60,000 of cannabis plants
- 6 Police finally pull car from Fens river
- 7 Tractor driver error may have caused freight derailment in the Fens
- 8 Co-op grocery delivery robots are coming to Cambridgeshire
- 9 Did you bite your husband's leg? ‘No, he knocked all my teeth out- I could not bite his leg’
- 10 Students highlight road safety in new films
“In the darkest moments, some people shine the brightest and are a beacon for others.”