Marshland St James and District Community Centre hoping to bag big cash boost from supermarket giants
- Credit: Archant
Marshland St James and District Sports and Community Centre (MDCSC) is bidding to bag a massive cash boost from the Tesco Bags of Help initiative.
The supermarket has teamed up with Groundwork on its Bags of Help initiative, which see grants of £12,000, £10,000 and £8,000 – all raised from the 5p bag levy – being awarded to environmental and greenspace projects.
Three groups in each of Tesco’s 416 regions have been shortlisted to receive the cash award.
And shoppers are being invited to head along to Tesco stores to vote for who they think should take away the top grant.
Marshland St James & District Sports and Community Centre is one of the groups on the shortlist.
You may also want to watch:
The MDCSC project is to create a community garden around the new Community Centre, providing a safe environment, where residents can meet and chat.
Lee Chapman, chairman of MDCSC, said “We are absolutely delighted to be on the Bags of Help shortlist. This exciting initiative will put the heart back into our village. It is really important to us and will make a huge difference to our community. We hope that Tesco customers in local stores will vote for our community garden project”.
- 1 Council to report 'accumulations of tributes' to police
- 2 'I lived in the woods' - Suspected murder victim reveals five year ordeal
- 3 Businesses across the Fens reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 4 Fenland line-up for Cambridgeshire elections
- 5 Videographer captures lifeboat hoist at town boatyard
- 6 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 7 Hughes Electrical re-open Monday at Wisbech and Ely
- 8 Five year mystery of what happened to modern day slavery victim
- 9 Fully-funded place at grammar school's sixth form available for one pupil
- 10 Cafe boss throws hat in the ring for county election
Voting is open in stores from October 31 to November 14. Customers will cast their vote using a token given to them at the check-out in store each time they shop.