Marshland Herons celebrate incredible season with multiple successes at district basketball tournaments
- Credit: Archant
The Marshland Herons basketball club have every right to celebrate an incredible season.
Three of their year groups became district champions at the West Norfolk Schools’ District Tournaments held at Kings Lynn Academy.
The Year 7 team dominated their tournament, winning all six games on the night.
The Year 8 team also became district champions and have qualified for the Norfolk Games in Norwich later this year.
James Bamfield, the chairman of National League team King’s Lynn Fury, said that Marshland Year 8 squad is one of the most talented he has ever seen in West Norfolk.
The Year 9 team, made up of only one Year 9, 13 Year 8s and one Year 7, also became district champions. They won five of their games and drew the other against Downham Market Academy.
The Year 10 team finished in fourth place, while the Year 11 team came second but only on baskets scored.
- 1 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 2 Karen’s three-course lunch with Mayor of Wisbech
- 3 Owner left excited as town's 'heirloom' features on I'm A Celebrity trial
- 4 Motorbike set on fire in arson attack
- 5 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 6 Veteran turns life around thanks to support from forces charity
- 7 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 8 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 9 Rail passengers urged to plan ahead of vital junction rebuild
- 10 Horse rider injured in crash on Ramsey Road in Warboys
The girls’ team came third, a big improvement on last season’s seventh.
Coach Dom Stannard said: “What a fantastic season. The school are extremely proud of all the players who have represented the school.
“There are so many students playing basketball in West Norfolk and it is brilliant to see Marshland competing so well and winning championships.”