Marshland Herons celebrate incredible season with multiple successes at district basketball tournaments
- Credit: Archant
The Marshland Herons basketball club have every right to celebrate an incredible season.
Three of their year groups became district champions at the West Norfolk Schools’ District Tournaments held at Kings Lynn Academy.
The Year 7 team dominated their tournament, winning all six games on the night.
The Year 8 team also became district champions and have qualified for the Norfolk Games in Norwich later this year.
James Bamfield, the chairman of National League team King’s Lynn Fury, said that Marshland Year 8 squad is one of the most talented he has ever seen in West Norfolk.
You may also want to watch:
The Year 9 team, made up of only one Year 9, 13 Year 8s and one Year 7, also became district champions. They won five of their games and drew the other against Downham Market Academy.
The Year 10 team finished in fourth place, while the Year 11 team came second but only on baskets scored.
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 3 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 4 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 5 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 6 Ex-glider pilot and education pioneer dies
- 7 100 mile charity walk inspired by mum's breast cancer recovery
- 8 Room to improve as villagers fail to cope with rampant visitors
- 9 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 10 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
The girls’ team came third, a big improvement on last season’s seventh.
Coach Dom Stannard said: “What a fantastic season. The school are extremely proud of all the players who have represented the school.
“There are so many students playing basketball in West Norfolk and it is brilliant to see Marshland competing so well and winning championships.”