Marshland Herons celebrate incredible season with multiple successes at district basketball tournaments
- Credit: Archant
The Marshland Herons basketball club have every right to celebrate an incredible season.
Three of their year groups became district champions at the West Norfolk Schools’ District Tournaments held at Kings Lynn Academy.
The Year 7 team dominated their tournament, winning all six games on the night.
The Year 8 team also became district champions and have qualified for the Norfolk Games in Norwich later this year.
James Bamfield, the chairman of National League team King’s Lynn Fury, said that Marshland Year 8 squad is one of the most talented he has ever seen in West Norfolk.
You may also want to watch:
The Year 9 team, made up of only one Year 9, 13 Year 8s and one Year 7, also became district champions. They won five of their games and drew the other against Downham Market Academy.
The Year 10 team finished in fourth place, while the Year 11 team came second but only on baskets scored.
- 1 'Sorry for any delay' but we're getting there says vaccine rollout manager
- 2 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
- 3 Rough sleepers helped from tents pitched on private land
- 4 Man who headbutted and spat at HMRC officers told to expect jail
- 5 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 6 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 7 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 8 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
- 9 Man suffers serious injuries after two-vehicle crash on A47
- 10 Ever get that sinking feeling?
The girls’ team came third, a big improvement on last season’s seventh.
Coach Dom Stannard said: “What a fantastic season. The school are extremely proud of all the players who have represented the school.
“There are so many students playing basketball in West Norfolk and it is brilliant to see Marshland competing so well and winning championships.”