Maria’s award was a surprise
A DENTAL nurse, who has worked at the same surgery for 20 years, has been named a national group s Nurse of the Year. Maria East works at James Hull Dental Care, in Museum Square, Wisbech, and was picked out for the accolade by directors of the group from
A DENTAL nurse, who has worked at the same surgery for 20 years, has been named a national group's Nurse of the Year.
Maria East works at James Hull Dental Care, in Museum Square, Wisbech, and was picked out for the accolade by directors of the group from more than 250 other nurses based at 32 practices nationwide.
She received her award at the group's annual ball at London's Grosvenor Hotel from Nick Irens, chairman of James Hull and Associates.
Mrs East, who lives in Wisbech, said: "I am just very pleased but still really surprised. It was nice to be recognised but the thing is that it did not come from our practice; it was from the directors. That was what pleased me more than anything."
You may also want to watch:
Val Richmond, Wisbech practice manager, said: "She really deserves it and we are really proud of her. She is a credit to the practice."
Thirty-seven-year-old Mrs East has worked at the dental surgery since dropping out of college in 1986, when she applied for a temporary job.
- 1 Two charged with Wisbech murder
- 2 Dogs 'whining and crying' claims kennels objector
- 3 New £1.5million Co-op store opens its doors – creating 12 local jobs
- 4 Three derelict cottages sell in auction for £122,000
- 5 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack
- 6 Suspected drug dealers arrested in Wisbech raid
- 7 First wholetime woman firefighter in Cambs retires after 30 years
- 8 Arsonists strike again by setting fire to tyres
- 9 Port welcomes 10 ships in a month from Latvia to The Netherlands
- 10 Two appear in court for murder after victim dies from 2006 assault
She also signed up to a youth training scheme at the centre and was offered a permanent post after six months. Apart from taking maternity leave for her two children, she has worked there ever since.
Not only a nurse, she also deals with the administration of stock ordering and with patient appointments.
Mrs Richmond said: "We always receive a lot of feedback from patients about the high standard of care they receive from Maria.
Wha-Choul Lee, a surgeon at the practice with whom Mrs East works alongside the most, said: "It is great that she has received this recognition. It is really good to see the company recognising the work she does.