MARCH: Woman raising funds to buy equipment for British Heart Foundation.
A MARCH woman is raising funds to buy vital equipment used by British Heart Foundation Nurses who visit patients in the community. Maureen Plater knows how valuable the service is because it enabled her husband Michael to spend the last months of his life
A MARCH woman is raising funds to buy vital equipment used by British Heart Foundation Nurses who visit patients in the community.
Maureen Plater knows how valuable the service is because it enabled her husband Michael to spend the last months of his life at home rather than hospital.
Michael died aged 63 after being ill for several years and when Maureen discovered the nurses who are based at Doddington Hospital urgently need portable ECG machines she decided to help.
A Christmas quiz raised �430 and other fundraising activities are being planned. Winner of the quiz was Mrs C Hill of Manea who receives a �50 prize.
Maureen said: "The nurses were such a major support to me as well as to Michael, they look after partners as well as the patient. When I heard they were struggling for equipment I decided to help.
"It is one way to keep patients in their own homes and out of hospital. They can take blood pressure, check oxygen levels and liaise with doctors and consultants if necessary."
- 1 Town road to remain closed following serious crash
- 2 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 3 Police 'increasingly concerned' for man missing since early hours yesterday
- 4 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 5 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
- 6 'Giving a child the chance to be a child lifts my heart’ says foster carer
- 7 OPINION: Jettison inertia and save money
- 8 WEIRD NORFOLK: The local shoe shop haunted by a 'one-legged poltergeist'
- 9 Arson causes fire to rip through derelict building
- 10 Man and teenager jailed after carrying out ‘horrific’ homophobic attack
Maureen is hoping to raise around �1,000 and would like to hear from anyone who can hold fundraisers or wants to give a donation, Tel 07947 066540.