MARCH: Raising money for charity and a good day out all part of the March, March, march
RAISING money for charity and enjoying the beautiful scenery across the Fens were the aims of this year s participants in the March, March, march. The 30 mile march from March to Cambridge took place at the weekend. Now in its 30th year, the walk across b
RAISING money for charity and enjoying the beautiful scenery across the Fens were the aims of this year's participants in the March, March, march.
The 30 mile march from March to Cambridge took place at the weekend.
Now in its 30th year, the walk across both local roads and open countryside takes in brief stops in Wimblington, Doddington and Chatteris.
Staying with tradition this year's participants headed off from March train station at 9.45am before strolling into Cambridge at 8.55pm.
You may also want to watch:
Despite several people dropping out along the route due to both injury and fatigue a handful managed to complete the full trek as darkness set in.
Among those who finished was Peter Roberts, Labour Parliamentary spokesperson for North East Cambridgeshire, who was doing a sponsored walk for Red Nose Day.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 3 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 4 Verdict means former mayor can keep pub
- 5 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 6 Antiques dealer's collection to be sold at auction
- 7 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 8 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 9 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 10 Man found dead in March
Mr Roberts said: "It was great to be able to join in this year's March, March, march for charity.
"On such a nice day seeing the different parts of the Fens from byways and bridleways was stunning".
"Everyone involved made a real effort to finish, and despite the blisters it was a wonderful experience to be part of this traditional Fen event, while raising some money for a good cause in the process".