Police bomb squad evacuate block of flats and arrest man, 55, on suspicion of firearm possession following ‘disorder’ in Wisbech
- Credit: Archant
A 55-year-old man was arrested yesterday afternoon on suspicion of firearm possession following a “disorder” at a block of flats in Wisbech.
Police officers swooped on Prospect Place in the town on March 12 at around 3.45pm after reports came in of a disturbance.
Residents were evacuated by Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) officers while they searched the property near Milner Road – cordons were placed on the street for a number of hours.
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Police confirmed that the 55-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of possession of a firearm and still remains in custody.
They said: “The man from Wisbech has been arrested on suspicion of possession of a firearm following reports of a disorder at about 3.45pm.”
You may also want to watch:
An eye witness took to social media after “armed police officers” stopped anyone from coming in and out of the street – one person said they were trying to see if their grandmother was ok.
Police added: “Residents were evacuated while EOD searched the premises. It was found to be safe and a cordon was lifted a few hours later. The man remains in custody at this time.”
- 1 Rough sleepers helped from tents pitched on private land
- 2 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 3 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
- 4 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 5 Man suffers serious injuries after two-vehicle crash on A47
- 6 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 7 'Sorry for any delay' but we're getting there says vaccine rollout manager
- 8 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
- 9 We want to end the season now, states Fenmen chairman
- 10 Man who headbutted and spat at HMRC officers told to expect jail