Police bomb squad evacuate block of flats and arrest man, 55, on suspicion of firearm possession following ‘disorder’ in Wisbech
- Credit: Archant
A 55-year-old man was arrested yesterday afternoon on suspicion of firearm possession following a “disorder” at a block of flats in Wisbech.
Police officers swooped on Prospect Place in the town on March 12 at around 3.45pm after reports came in of a disturbance.
Residents were evacuated by Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) officers while they searched the property near Milner Road – cordons were placed on the street for a number of hours.
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Police confirmed that the 55-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of possession of a firearm and still remains in custody.
They said: “The man from Wisbech has been arrested on suspicion of possession of a firearm following reports of a disorder at about 3.45pm.”
You may also want to watch:
An eye witness took to social media after “armed police officers” stopped anyone from coming in and out of the street – one person said they were trying to see if their grandmother was ok.
Police added: “Residents were evacuated while EOD searched the premises. It was found to be safe and a cordon was lifted a few hours later. The man remains in custody at this time.”
- 1 Pets saved in horrific rescue start to be rehomed
- 2 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 3 Rainbow alliance hoping to bring sunshine to the Fens
- 4 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 5 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
- 6 Pupils thrilled to take next step towards England dream
- 7 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 8 Marathon runner passes through Cambs on route to Kathmandu
- 9 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 10 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter