Main road through the Fens continues to remain closed in aftermath of tyre fire
A FIRE which saw 200 tonnes of tyres go up in smoke continues to keep a main road through Fenland closed. Diversions at Littleport near where the fire still smoulders, means that traffic along the A1101 is being diverted. Anyone heading to Welney either h
A FIRE which saw 200 tonnes of tyres go up in smoke continues to keep a main road through Fenland closed.
Diversions at Littleport near where the fire still smoulders, means that traffic along the A1101 is being diverted.
Anyone heading to Welney either has a detour along the A10 or via Ely or through the back roads at Pymoor to re-join the A1101.
It is expected the road will remain closed for most of this week even though the smoke from the fire at Murfitt Industries, off Wisbech Road, near Littleport, is not considered dangerous.
You may also want to watch:
Reporter Tom Jackson took this photo on Friday at around 6.45pm.
Scientists have carried out tests on the toxicity of the smoke and deemed it not dangerous, said a fire service spokesman.
- 1 The Chase contestant from Cambs labelled ‘most stunning’ in show’s history
- 2 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 3 Clean, green and affordable: choose market leader Nissan to start your electric motoring journey
- 4 Fit of the Fens challenge to raise cash for the homeless
- 5 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 6 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 7 Driver peers out of Range Rover while trying to cross flooded Welney Wash
- 8 Go-kart star Vinnie shines in Europe ahead of new campaign
- 9 'Chopper was a hard worker and put himself about' - tribute to ex-Fenmen star
- 10 ‘It needs to get sorted’ - heartfelt plea after flood nightmare