Macmillan receives �5.5k from Wisbech fund-raising group as countdown begins to World’s Biggest Coffee Morning
MACMILLAN Cancer Support’s Wisbech fund-raising group presented a cheque for �5,500 to the charity’s Cambridgeshire office.
The funds, raised by individual donations and group events, were presented to Charlotte Darlow, fund-raising manager for Cambridgeshire.
The group also received a �300 donation following a concert by the Sheringham Shantymen at St Mary’s Church, West Walton. The event was held to raise money towards a community room for the church, with some of the proceeds going to Macmillan.
Wendy Smith, a member of the fund-raising group, said: “Of the funds raised during the year, a good proportion goes toward patient grants.
“In Cambridgeshire during 2011 �43,005 was given to 134 individuals - �11,122 was given to 39 people needing support in Wisbech.
“So be proud, all of you who spare a few coins for a collecting bucket, or give donations at a special event or celebration.”
The group holds its World’s Biggest Coffee Morning event at St Peter’s Church Hall from 10am-noon but on September 21 - a week earlier than the rest of the country. Members will then visit other events taking place on September 28.
- 1 Arsonist started fire in Wisbech care home
- 2 Council calls for return to mask wearing as Covid soars
- 3 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
- 4 Smiles return as bridge re-painting comes to an end
- 5 Armed police swoop on youngsters brandishing suspected hand gun
- 6 Elderly man scares off would-be burglar
- 7 Rikki Neave’s mother calls for tougher sentence for son’s murderer
- 8 Steve Barclay becomes Health Secretary following shock resignations
- 9 Woman, 80, dies following A141 crash
- 10 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
For more information about the group, contact Adele on 01945 587653 or Wendy on 01945 587277.