Loss of the Phoenix is a tragedy, says hotelier
By ADAM LAZZARI WISBECH hotelier Jonathan Davies has called the destruction of the historic Phoenix Hotel and Restaurant as a tragedy for the town. The hotel is on North Brink, which German scholar Nikolaus Pevsner described in his book, The Buildings of
By ADAM LAZZARI
WISBECH hotelier Jonathan Davies has called the destruction of the historic Phoenix Hotel and Restaurant as a tragedy for the town.
The hotel is on North Brink, which German scholar Nikolaus Pevsner described in his book, The Buildings of England, as the finest Georgian street in Britain and had been standing for more than 300 years.
It closed in August due to financial troubles and Mr Davies, owner of The Rose and Crown in Wisbech Market Place, was considering taking it over himself.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "This is a tragedy. It is a really big loss for Wisbech that this hotel, which is part of the marvelous North Brink, has been destroyed."
The building has been declared unsafe and is being demolished this afternoon and tomorrow morning after it was completely gutted by a fire, which started at around 1am today.
- 1 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 Man assaults police officer whilst in possession of drugs on E-Bike
- 4 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 5 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 6 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 7 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 10 Watches and electric display box stolen in village burglary
Police and the fire service are still investigating the cause of the blaze.
A warehouse caught fire on North Brink on Wednesday and the cause of this has been confirmed as accidental.
The fires follow a series of arson attacks in Fenland with St Mary's Church, March, Westwood Junior School, Neale-Wade Community College and March Town Bowls Club all hit.
Mr Davies said: "Who the hell is burning all of these buildings!"
He added: "Wisbech used to be a tourist town but it's not any more and hotels are really struggling. People only come here for accommodation which is a real shame because it is a wonderful town with lots of history.