Loss of the Phoenix is a tragedy, says hotelier
By ADAM LAZZARI WISBECH hotelier Jonathan Davies has called the destruction of the historic Phoenix Hotel and Restaurant as a tragedy for the town. The hotel is on North Brink, which German scholar Nikolaus Pevsner described in his book, The Buildings of
By ADAM LAZZARI
WISBECH hotelier Jonathan Davies has called the destruction of the historic Phoenix Hotel and Restaurant as a tragedy for the town.
The hotel is on North Brink, which German scholar Nikolaus Pevsner described in his book, The Buildings of England, as the finest Georgian street in Britain and had been standing for more than 300 years.
It closed in August due to financial troubles and Mr Davies, owner of The Rose and Crown in Wisbech Market Place, was considering taking it over himself.
He said: "This is a tragedy. It is a really big loss for Wisbech that this hotel, which is part of the marvelous North Brink, has been destroyed."
The building has been declared unsafe and is being demolished this afternoon and tomorrow morning after it was completely gutted by a fire, which started at around 1am today.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 3 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 4 Man in his 20s dies after crash in west Norfolk
- 5 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 6 Tribute to ‘much-loved’ school worker who died suddenly in Wisbech
- 7 7 places where you can tuck into a carvery in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Princess Anne visits Wisbech's new Citizens Advice Bureau on Cambs trip
- 9 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 10 New March station will 'help people to use petrol and diesel cars less'
Police and the fire service are still investigating the cause of the blaze.
A warehouse caught fire on North Brink on Wednesday and the cause of this has been confirmed as accidental.
The fires follow a series of arson attacks in Fenland with St Mary's Church, March, Westwood Junior School, Neale-Wade Community College and March Town Bowls Club all hit.
Mr Davies said: "Who the hell is burning all of these buildings!"
He added: "Wisbech used to be a tourist town but it's not any more and hotels are really struggling. People only come here for accommodation which is a real shame because it is a wonderful town with lots of history.