Village hall expands after £198,000 grant
- Credit: Archant
Gorefield community hall and sports pavilion is set to stage its official reopening after receiving contributions from a fund set up by the county council.
It was funded by £198,000 from the council and the hall committee raised a further £60,000.
It will enable the village to stage community functions and bookings, including the expansion of their youth club.
The hall was first opened in 2013 and has been a popular and well used space ever since.
Due to its success, expansion plans were drawn up so that the centre could offer additional and flexible space.
Throughout 2020 the Gorefield hall project was one of 35 community-led projects across the county which received funding from the communities capital fund.
The £5million fund supported a range of projects.
- 1 Woman, 80, dies following A141 crash
- 2 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 3 Developer going flat out to convert former post office
- 4 'Rubberneckers' cause second crash trying to view overturned lorry
- 5 Village farm buildings targeted in arson attack
- 6 Two women fighting for life after A141 crash
- 7 Have you seen Harry Gibson? He's wanted by police
- 8 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 9 Smiles return as bridge re-painting comes to an end
- 10 Crews tackle blaze in Wisbech
Cllr Tom Sanderson, chair of the communities, social mobility and inclusion committee, said: “The communities capital fund has been incredibly successful, having provided funding for many community-based projects across the county.”